Buddi Alert System

cmcc92

May 28, 2014
Hello,
I have just set up a Buddi Tracking System for my dad to use as he still likes to go out for walks on his own. I'm just wondering if anyone has any experience in using it?

I'm not 100% sure how it all works and just wondered if anyone could give me a dummies guide to using it!
Thank you :)

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point mobile app

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
hi cmcc92
I just looked on the website and there is a fair bit of info there
I like the look of the tracker, pretty much just a thicker type of the rubber wristband charities have - dad had a tracking system linked with telecare, and wore the tracker like a watch pretty much all day and night, only taking it off when someone was with him, so it could be charged up
he wore it at night as that was when he wandered the most, and linked to a door alarm, it saved his bacon when he took off in only his pjs one January night
best wishes

cmcc92

May 28, 2014
Hi Shedrech,

Thanks for your message. We have tried it out and it seems to work well. The wristband detects movement so will send an alert if he falls over. The little clip on one is the GPS tracker. Both have to be worn at the same time which I'm not sure about - I had hoped that he could just have something in his pocket as the wristband is a bit of a faff.

The other day we had relatives round and my dad's 3 year old niece was full of mischief so my dad was chasing her and being a bit silly which was all fine and well until it triggered an alert due to his movement! So need to remind him to take it off every time he is home.

The alert call made Dad quite anxious too because the calls are managed through a call centre which is fab but I think Dad felt bad for setting it off - almost like getting in to trouble at school!

Hopefully he will be get used to having it and it will make things will get easier.

Cx

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
hi cmcc92
glad it's working well
I do suggest that your dad doesn't take anything off when at home as you just don't know what he may get up to - better to have an alert when nothing is wrong than miss the time when something is
with dad's set up, they really didn't mind that there were a few false alarms and never made him feel bad - in fact they pointed out that each time it proved the system was working properly so they were pleased - and they also asked us to check in with them once a month anyway to make sure all was well
best wishes

cmcc92

May 28, 2014
Thanks Shedrech, will keep that in mind.

Cx

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point

Daisy Garden

Apr 22, 2017
Hi - I purchased one for my husband a while ago in an attempt to get myself a little freedom during the day and was very impressed with it. However, please don't laugh, he did not like it and kept taking if off. It eventually "disappeared" - the team managed to track it down to the local refuse tip! (He really did hate it didn't he). Now his falls are more frequent attempts are being made to convince him to try again. My main tips are : 1. there is a really good manual online. 2. If the user is likely to trigger lots of "false alarms" make sure the nominated contacts don't get fed up and refuse to help. 3. Don't let the user be in control of the account as they may (as in our case) cancel the contract themself without telling anyone! It was a realiy good system though and had lots of features that could be chosen from depending on the clients particular needs.

ed.collins

May 23, 2017
I've certainly tried using tracking methods for my father in case he gets those wandering episodes. At first I got one of those bluetooths ones, but I soon found out they have a very limited reach. Safe to say they were nigh on useless.

I've since started using GPS trackers at least now my father can go further while still being tracked, not that I want him to wander too far. Though I haven't tried Buddi, I have Trackimo.

Ed

Madeiranlotuseater

Jul 27, 2019
I am interested to see these posts from more than two years ago. I will come clean and tell you that my wife has MSA Parkinsonism, a nasty condition but one that is most unlikely to produce dementia. But with MSA balance becomes an issue. Four times in three weeks my wife has fallen. Yesterday morning she was watering the garden and lay on the ground for forty minutes before I discovered her. A Buddi device arrived in the post two hours later. Another weapon in my armory along with a host of cctv cameras. Our home is on three levels, a bunch of Faraday cages that mean walkie talkies won’t work. There has been a host of issues which the quite excellent help team at Buddi have been working through. Unfortunately (or not - no BJ nor Brexit) we live in Madeira so the replacement device will take about ten days to come.

I think it is going to be a great help. I really hope so. I too balk at the weekly charge for simply calling myself. A little naughty, methinks.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mrsmagsey