Brushing teeth

Smileysue

Jan 28, 2017
Any tips on how to get my husband’s teeth brushed? He lets me get brush in mouth, closes up and I try to brush. He won’t spit out. Oral hygiene has plummeted and already he has lost 2 teeth in 3 weeks.
All ideas welcome.

millalm

Oct 9, 2019
With my Mum I changed to a child size toothbrush which has improved things a bit, the care workers advised me to give up on the swishing and spitting attempts and just make sure she swallows enough liquid to wash down the toothpaste. They no longer use a toothbrush with her, just a tooth sponge wipe but I persevere with brush and paste. I also approach her from the back so the toothbrush is in a natural position in her mouth. I find if I talk to her quietly in her ear while trying to do the deed it goes much easier. Some nights though, she speaks for the only time in the day to say, quite loudly STOP IT!! PLEASE !! THAT'S ENOUGH!! THANKS lol I too would appreciate any other tips.

marionq

Apr 24, 2013
Scotland
When Johns dentist changed him over to high fluoride toothpaste she said not to rinse at all but just to spit. Washing the toothpaste down would be a bad idea so no water given to swish around. My grandson used to have a tiny egg timer on the sink to remind him to brush for two minutes. Would the novelty of that help?

Vitesse

Oct 26, 2016
When Johns dentist changed him over to high fluoride toothpaste she said not to rinse at all but just to spit. Washing the toothpaste down would be a bad idea so no water given to swish around. My grandson used to have a tiny egg timer on the sink to remind him to brush for two minutes. Would the novelty of that help?
Just out of interest, my hygienist told me a few years back not to rinse after brushing, as the residue of toothpaste was protecting the teeth!! Saves another worry, I just have to make sure my husband brushes as well as possible.

Smileysue

Jan 28, 2017
With my Mum I changed to a child size toothbrush which has improved things a bit, the care workers advised me to give up on the swishing and spitting attempts and just make sure she swallows enough liquid to wash down the toothpaste. They no longer use a toothbrush with her, just a tooth sponge wipe but I persevere with brush and paste. I also approach her from the back so the toothbrush is in a natural position in her mouth. I find if I talk to her quietly in her ear while trying to do the deed it goes much easier. Some nights though, she speaks for the only time in the day to say, quite loudly STOP IT!! PLEASE !! THAT'S ENOUGH!! THANKS lol I too would appreciate any other tips.
Thanks I will try a child toothbrush as his gums are the problem so I feel a brush is needed.