Brain Food!

MaNaAk

Jun 19, 2016
Essex
Good evening Everyone!

I just want to tell you that whilst awaiting diagnosis for dad's Alzheimers five years ago I looked up a lot of information on how to keep the brain healthy. I read that eating a lot of fruit vegetables especially those with iron or vitamin C were very good. These included avocados, spinach, kale and greens but unfortunately with the exception of avocados the other three items started doing things to our stomachs and even with what I now know was mild Alzheimers said this is giving me a bad stomach. We had trouble with this diet eventually because we were both on thyroxine! I just wanted to tell everyone this because I contributed to @jennifer1967's Advice Please thread and I realise that a diet to prevent dementia could be a whole new thread. When dad had his blood test before diagnosis it was found that metformin was making him slightly anaemic so he needed more red meat. I mentioned vegetables but the doctor said meat was the answer to this. The vegetables contained some but not enough to prevent anaemic but it did send us to the toilet!

MaNaAk

jennifer1967

Mar 15, 2020
Southampton
Good evening Everyone!

I just want to tell you that whilst awaiting diagnosis for dad's Alzheimers five years ago I looked up a lot of information on how to keep the brain healthy. I read that eating a lot of fruit vegetables especially those with iron or vitamin C were very good. These included avocados, spinach, kale and greens but unfortunately with the exception of avocados the other three items started doing things to our stomachs and even with what I now know was mild Alzheimers said this is giving me a bad stomach. We had trouble with this diet eventually because we were both on thyroxine! I just wanted to tell everyone this because I contributed to @jennifer1967's Advice Please thread and I realise that a diet to prevent dementia could be a whole new thread. When dad had his blood test before diagnosis it was found that metformin was making him slightly anaemic so he needed more red meat. I mentioned vegetables but the doctor said meat was the answer to this. The vegetables contained some but not enough to prevent anaemic but it did send us to the toilet!

MaNaAk
its surprising what you will try to keep a person well. it maybe best to ask the doctor especially about herbal remedies as some can interact with prescription medicine. even grapefruit with certain medication. thank you @MaNaAk about iron and metformin. my husband is anaemic and probably going on metformin so will be careful

Lawson58

Aug 1, 2014
Victoria, Australia
Good evening Everyone!

MaNaAk
And people who are on warfarin have to be careful about eating bright or dark green vegetables. They need to eat small amounts regularly otherwise it can do crazy things and interfere with medication.

MaNaAk

Jun 19, 2016
Essex
And people who are on warfarin have to be careful about eating bright or dark green vegetables. They need to eat small amounts regularly otherwise it can do crazy things and interfere with medication.
Yes that's what it did with us!

MaNaAk

Melles Belles

Jul 4, 2017
South east
A number of scientists are investigating whether Alzheimer’s and Parkinson’s are related to issues in the gut (and if fatty liver disease is a risk factor). It looks like your gut biome may have an impact on your health is more ways than we have imagined. For example men with advanced prostate cancer seem to have different gut biome (less diverse) to those who don’t have cancer.
Those with less diverse gut biome are more likely to have serious health conditions. The more varied your diet the more diverse your gut biome Is likely to be.
Cause or effect is what they need to establish.
I suppose we have to look at keeping the whole body healthy.

MaNaAk

Jun 19, 2016
Essex
A number of scientists are investigating whether Alzheimer’s and Parkinson’s are related to issues in the gut (and if fatty liver disease is a risk factor). It looks like your gut biome may have an impact on your health is more ways than we have imagined. For example men with advanced prostate cancer seem to have different gut biome (less diverse) to those who don’t have cancer.
Those with less diverse gut biome are more likely to have serious health conditions. The more varied your diet the more diverse your gut biome Is likely to be.
Cause or effect is what they need to establish.
I suppose we have to look at keeping the whole body healthy.
Yes! You're right and I have been indulging quite a bit. Also lockdown has probably raised serious issues in general as some people may not have been getting the exercise that they would normally have had.

MaNaAk

Helly68

Mar 12, 2018
Or enough vitamin D funnily enough. I have been indoors so much the GP has prescribed me an extra strength supplement. I wondered why I was so tired....

Jaded'n'faded

Jan 23, 2019
High Peak
As @Melles Belles says there is some very interesting research going on looking at the gut biome. It's early days but we already know it is massively connected with stuff that happens elsewhere in the body. (Hope you like my scientific terminology!) I think there could be revelations in the coming years. I think it's also possible that all the info we're bombarded with about diet might turn out to have more to do with gut health than the food itself.

My littlest cat Minky has always had a 'flippy tummy'. She often eats a big meal then pukes it up later though her overall health was fine. A few weeks back she deteriorated - vomiting, off her food and worse - bloody diarrhoea. I rushed her to the vet who thought it was probably a bout of colitis. She prescribed a probiotic paste and a couple of days later, Minky was right as rain - bouncing off the walls again, good appetite, no sickness, no diarrhoea. The treatment was only for 5 days and Minky hadn't been sick since... until a couple of days ago. Now she's starting again (though no diarrhoea at this point) and I get up to find cat vomit on my carpet :( So I've ordered more of the probiotic stuff - you can buy it on eBay and elsewhere, no prescription needed. I will get her back on it and I'm sure it will sort her out again. (Also moving to 'sensitive' cat food!)

It does occur to me I probably look after the health of my cats more than my own. So I'm going to buy me some probiotic yoghurts this afternoon! Can't see myself ever eating Kale :D

MaNaAk

Jun 19, 2016
Essex
As @Melles Belles says there is some very interesting research going on looking at the gut biome. It's early days but we already know it is massively connected with stuff that happens elsewhere in the body. (Hope you like my scientific terminology!) I think there could be revelations in the coming years. I think it's also possible that all the info we're bombarded with about diet might turn out to have more to do with gut health than the food itself.

My littlest cat Minky has always had a 'flippy tummy'. She often eats a big meal then pukes it up later though her overall health was fine. A few weeks back she deteriorated - vomiting, off her food and worse - bloody diarrhoea. I rushed her to the vet who thought it was probably a bout of colitis. She prescribed a probiotic paste and a couple of days later, Minky was right as rain - bouncing off the walls again, good appetite, no sickness, no diarrhoea. The treatment was only for 5 days and Minky hadn't been sick since... until a couple of days ago. Now she's starting again (though no diarrhoea at this point) and I get up to find cat vomit on my carpet :( So I've ordered more of the probiotic stuff - you can buy it on eBay and elsewhere, no prescription needed. I will get her back on it and I'm sure it will sort her out again. (Also moving to 'sensitive' cat food!)

It does occur to me I probably look after the health of my cats more than my own. So I'm going to buy me some probiotic yoghurts this afternoon! Can't see myself ever eating Kale :D
Are you sure your cat's not chewing something she shouldn't be chewing in the meantime?

Look after yourself

MaNaAk

Lawson58

Aug 1, 2014
Victoria, Australia

One of my cats used to regurgitate food regularly but I discovered that it was because she would bolt her food down too quickly. I solved the problem by switching her on to a complete dry food diet which not only slows down her eating but encourages her to eat smaller portions a little more often. I buy a couple of the expensive brands but it isn't dearer in the long run.

And that of course comes back to the question of diet. I think they are only scratching at the surface of what is known about the gut and possible impacts on general health.

My husband has been a vegetarian for decades but apart from Alzheimer's, he has had cardiac problems and lots of other issues over many years. While our genes are also involved, their influence can be modified somewhat by diet, exercise and healthy habits.

It is interesting that people who are immediate blood relatives can have such different health outcomes.

Jaded'n'faded

Jan 23, 2019
High Peak
One of my cats used to regurgitate food regularly but I discovered that it was because she would bolt her food down too quickly. I solved the problem by switching her on to a complete dry food diet which not only slows down her eating but encourages her to eat smaller portions a little more often. I buy a couple of the expensive brands but it isn't dearer in the long run.

And that of course comes back to the question of diet. I think they are only scratching at the surface of what is known about the gut and possible impacts on general health.

My husband has been a vegetarian for decades but apart from Alzheimer's, he has had cardiac problems and lots of other issues over many years. While our genes are also involved, their influence can be modified somewhat by diet, exercise and healthy habits.

It is interesting that people who are immediate blood relatives can have such different health outcomes.
Minky is the daintiest eater - tiny, tiny nibbles! The trouble is she just keeps going and going. The other trouble is that having 4 cats, it's really hard to keep track of who eats what. I have changed to mainly dry food and she's much better on that, but I started a new bag a few days ago - different brand - and she's started barfing again. It's for sensitive stomachs too! So I'm changing back to a brand she's usually OK with and getting the probiotic paste stuff to give her too. There is food out all the time - I should probably change to set meal times. Again, it's really difficult with 4 cats who want to eat different things at different times and also like to graze.

The other, other trouble is that it makes her hate me :( The stuff is like gritty oily mud and smells like wet cardboard. The dose is about half a teaspoon daily and she really hates having it (can't blame her) and tries to spit it out, shakes her head so it goes everywhere... sigh. So I've also ordered a powdered version which I can mix into food - she might go for that if it's in her favourite tuna fillet and whitebait...

jennifer1967

Mar 15, 2020
Southampton
Minky is the daintiest eater - tiny, tiny nibbles! The trouble is she just keeps going and going. The other trouble is that having 4 cats, it's really hard to keep track of who eats what. I have changed to mainly dry food and she's much better on that, but I started a new bag a few days ago - different brand - and she's started barfing again. It's for sensitive stomachs too! So I'm changing back to a brand she's usually OK with and getting the probiotic paste stuff to give her too. There is food out all the time - I should probably change to set meal times. Again, it's really difficult with 4 cats who want to eat different things at different times and also like to graze.

The other, other trouble is that it makes her hate me :( The stuff is like gritty oily mud and smells like wet cardboard. The dose is about half a teaspoon daily and she really hates having it (can't blame her) and tries to spit it out, shakes her head so it goes everywhere... sigh. So I've also ordered a powdered version which I can mix into food - she might go for that if it's in her favourite tuna fillet and whitebait...
my cat has all dried food and its available all the time. he tends to be sick when hes eaten grass and looks frothy when it comes out. or if something in the garden takes his fancy. not very often as he is fussy what he eats. one brand and one variety. fish not meat

Lawson58

Aug 1, 2014
Victoria, Australia

I have three cats so I know exactly where you are coming from. One of my cats needs urinary tract support, one needs dental support and then there is The Regurgitator!

They all hated me when I started removing wet food from their menu but are now used to it. I leave dry food out for them all the time so she can graze rather than overload her tummy and I also have a tub of cat grass available for them as they have to be indoor cats.

I really believe that their overall health is better since being on dry food. One of my cats was always a bit too thin and has now filled out and looks great. They all have beautiful coats and lots of energy.

Maybe you need to go for all dry food and skip anything wet. Bit of tough love?

Jaded'n'faded

Jan 23, 2019
High Peak
I have three cats so I know exactly where you are coming from. One of my cats needs urinary tract support, one needs dental support and then there is The Regurgitator!

They all hated me when I started removing wet food from their menu but are now used to it. I leave dry food out for them all the time so she can graze rather than overload her tummy and I also have a tub of cat grass available for them as they have to be indoor cats.

I really believe that their overall health is better since being on dry food. One of my cats was always a bit too thin and has now filled out and looks great. They all have beautiful coats and lots of energy.

Maybe you need to go for all dry food and skip anything wet. Bit of tough love?
The new cat meds arrived today so I've given Minky a dose of 'mud'. She was sick on my computer chair last night (thanks Minky!) but not a huge amount. The other stuff I bought is a powdered version - you add a scoop to food and fortunately it's a pretty small scoop. All 4 cats eat from the same bowls so if I add it to food, they'll all get a bit though I'm sure it will do them all good! If that works for Minky it will be easy to maintain though I can give her the other stuff directly.

All that remains is to see whether they notice that I have 'poisoned' their food...!

Had my first probiotic yoghurt yesterday and it wasn't bad. An hour later I had a crampy stomach. Might be unconnected of course... And I have my second jab this afternoon so I'm looking forward to feeling invincible :)

Here's Minky Mooncat (on the left) with big brother Roly-Poly Tickle Tum ?

Attachments

• IMG_9043.JPG
    IMG_9043.JPG
    77.4 KB · Views: 308

Lawson58

Aug 1, 2014
Victoria, Australia
The new cat meds arrived today so I've given Minky a dose of 'mud'. She was sick on my computer chair last night (thanks Minky!) but not a huge amount. The other stuff I bought is a powdered version - you add a scoop to food and fortunately it's a pretty small scoop. All 4 cats eat from the same bowls so if I add it to food, they'll all get a bit though I'm sure it will do them all good! If that works for Minky it will be easy to maintain though I can give her the other stuff directly.

All that remains is to see whether they notice that I have 'poisoned' their food...!

Had my first probiotic yoghurt yesterday and it wasn't bad. An hour later I had a crampy stomach. Might be unconnected of course... And I have my second jab this afternoon so I'm looking forward to feeling invincible :)

They are very cute. The cat with our dog is Marty, the one with the urinary problem and the two together are Goldie the Regurgitator and Rumble.

I hope you get the diets all sorted out and that you too feel okay after your jab. I think we all feel better when we have done something proactive about our own health.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    215.4 KB · Views: 290
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    243.1 KB · Views: 289

jennifer1967

Mar 15, 2020
Southampton

they are gorgeous, the supplements that @lemonbalm recommended have done the trick. no cramps no extended toilet runs. miraculous

Jaded'n'faded

Jan 23, 2019
High Peak
The foods you eat play a role in keeping your brain healthy and can improve specific mental tasks, such as memory and concentration:
Fatty Fish: This type of fish includes salmon, trout, albacore tuna, herring, and sardines, all of which are rich sources of omega-3 fatty acids (1Trusted Source).
Coffee: Two main components in coffee — caffeine and antioxidants — can help support brain health.
Pumpkin seeds: Pumpkin seeds contain powerful antioxidants that protect the body and brain from free-radical damage (34). They’re also an excellent source of magnesium, iron, zinc, and copper
They MAY play a role, they MAY improve your health. Equally they may not. Much depends on how you process food, your gut microbiome and a whole host of other things.

I think the jury is still out on coffee. You are no doubt aware how the 'experts' have flip-flopped about how good/bad it is over the years. Same with 'a small glass of red wine per day'.

Certainly, it has been shown that a 'healthy', balanced diet (plus exercise and a healthy lifestyle, whatever that might be...) is generally good for you and makes you less likely to fall victim to various diseases, all of which may help you live longer. Unfortunately, the biggest risk factor for dementia (by far) is simply being Very Old.