Books!!

NEESE201

Oct 16, 2020
Sudbury
Can anyone let me know any books they have read that they would recommend that are easier to read and are not too heavy (heavy on the brain not heavy to lift!!)- bought a couple off ebay but were american and very medical and wore be out just trying to understand them (as if I could ever understand alzheimer's) many thanks neese

SeaSwallow

Volunteer Moderator
Oct 28, 2019
Not a book but Teepa Snow on YouTube is excellent. She is US based but the advice is mostly generic.

Yankeeabroad

Oct 24, 2021
Creating Moments of Joy by Jolene Brackley.

I haven’t read it myself but it came highly recommended by my parents neighbour whose husband has Alzheimer’s.

Cazcaz

Apr 3, 2021
One book I found oddly therapeutic was one a friend lent me called “Still Alice” by Lisa Genova. Written from the point of view of a Harvard professor diagnosed with Alzheimer’s.
When my friend (who knew about my PWD) told me the premise I was very wary of the book, but to avoid hurting my friend I thought I’d read a chapter and tell her it wasn’t that great and give up.

Id read half the book in one go!

And when I’d finished I realised just how gently the slide into Alzheimer’s can be for the PWD. Honestly, a great read!

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Ive got The Selfish Pigs Guide to Caring too. Its not specific to dementia, but its written by an ex-carer. Its very helpful (and quite amusing too)

Carmenjane

Mar 17, 2022
The Little Girl in the Radiator. I can’t remember the author but google will tell you. Funny and very moving

Poppy44

Aug 11, 2019
There’s also ‘ What I Wish People Knew About Dementia- from Someone Who Knows’ by Wendy Mitchell. It’s dementia seen from the inside as Wendy has young-onset dementia herself.

Bunpoots

Volunteer Host
Apr 1, 2016
Nottinghamshire
Hi @NEESE201

I tried reading a couple of books but I found the information from Teepa Snow on YouTube much easier to digest. She has a very entertaining way of making how to deal with dementia understandable. I highly recommend her.

givebracku

Dec 21, 2022
Fantastic Mr Fox – Roald Dahl.
The Old Man and the Sea – Ernest Hemingway.
Lord of the Flies – William Golding.

Chhow

Nov 21, 2022
I like to read detective stories when I need to stretch my brain. It helps a lot to cheer up. Trying to guess who the killer is. I only guessed it once :)

heartbroken01

Dec 27, 2022
'with the end in mind' I wish I'd read it before watching mum pass away, but it helped afterwards too x

Thethirdmrsc

Apr 4, 2018
Does anyone have books on grief? That they can recommend. Dealing with loss, moving on, that sort of stuff.

yosser

Nov 12, 2020
Shenley Brook End Milton Keynes
Hello , book 📕 Wendy Mitchell One last thing. Book is about end of life. This former Doctor, has dementia so she is fully aware of all the pitfalls. Take look at Wendy’s two previous books both are all about Dementia & are excellent reads.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Hello @yosser , nice to see you again

If heard of this one, though not read it. Must try and get the library to source it for me. Her books are very good.
x

Knitandpurl

Aug 9, 2021
Lincolnshire
Years ago when my Dad had cancer I read ‘Living with Cancer’, can’t remember the author; at the time I found this very helpful and some of it has stayed with me and helped on this current journey with my husband having dementia. One bit in particular was a beautiful poem about making each day count, and each minute and moment even, because however long we live none of them ever come back….

yosser

Nov 12, 2020
Shenley Brook End Milton Keynes
Hello @yosser , nice to see you again

If heard of this one, though not read it. Must try and get the library to source it for me. Her books are very good.
x
Canary, Wendy’s a very interesting person, who i follow on Twitter.
I shall get to reading 📖 it once I’ve finished A Tattoo on my brain. A Neurologist battle against Alzheimer’s Disease.

Geoff 🤗

Tricot

Jun 20, 2017
France
Hello , book 📕 Wendy Mitchell One last thing. Book is about end of life. This former Doctor, has dementia so she is fully aware of all the pitfalls.
Just have to correct you about Wendy's occupation. She was not a doctor but was a manager for the NHS. I follow her blog.