Book Group: Somebody I Used to Know by Wendy Mitchell

Status
Not open for further replies.

HarrietD

Staff Member
Staff member
Apr 29, 2014
London
This month, Living with Dementia magazine's book group is focusing on Somebody I Used to Know by Wendy Mitchell. If you've read it or are planning to, please let us know what you think.

You can find the book >here<

LWDFebMar18_bkgiveaway_1.jpg

Here's a quick summary:

Wendy Mitchell had a busy job with the NHS, raised her two daughters alone, and spent her weekends running and climbing mountains. Then, slowly, a mist settled deep inside the mind she once knew so well, blurring the world around her. She didn’t know it then, but dementia was starting to take hold. In 2014, at age 58, she was diagnosed with young-onset Alzheimer’s.

What lay ahead of her after the diagnosis was scary and unknowable, but Mitchell was determined and resourceful, and she vowed to outwit the disease for as long as she could.

A chronicle of one woman’s struggle to make sense of her shifting world and her mortality,
Somebody I Used to Know offers a powerful rumination on memory, perception, and the simple pleasure of living in the moment. Philosophical, poetic, intensely personal, and ultimately hopeful, this moving memoir is both a tribute to the woman Wendy Mitchell used to be and a brave affirmation of the woman she has become.

Your comments may be included in a future issue of the magazine :)

Please email any comments to magazine@alzheimers.org.uk by Monday 5 March.

HarrietD

Staff Member
Staff member
Apr 29, 2014
London
Thanks @PJ - let us know what you think if you decide to read it :)

You can find the audiobook here or you can listen to an excerpt free here if you'd prefer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nina Warner