Blue Badge

sunlover

Dec 6, 2011
I thought as from 2019 we could apply as hidden disabilities but tried and it’s not been been passed?

Louise7

Volunteer Host
Mar 25, 2016
Apparently the change was expected to come in during early 2019, but that was dependant on it being passed in Parliament by that time. Perhaps the legislation is still going through?

Wifenotcarer

Mar 11, 2018
Central Scotland
Here in Scotland we can apply for a blue badge for Mental Health Issues, including Dementia. Just got one for OH last month and finding it a great help, when shopping or going for e.g. optician's appointments. OH now shuffles when he walks and has no idea of directions, so the ability to park near the door is a big help. Also he is happy to sit in the car by himself if I am just popping in to collect or deliver something because he can see where I am.

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
I had a quick look and found this -

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/people-with-hidden-disabilities-to-benefit-from-blue-badges

It looks like people will be able to apply from 2019 but it doesn't give an actual date. To be honest I've not read it all so the information might be somewhere else on the site.

I'm also in Scotland and my husband had a blue badge. It was an absolute boon. One major benefit was that the spaces are wider. That meant I could open the door wide and have space to try to persuade him to get out of or in the car.

Angryperson

Oct 27, 2017
It depends on your local authority’s criteria. Many people with dementia will qualify for a Blue Badge especially if they walk badly, have falls wander off etc.