Blood pressure medication

Jac86

Mar 28, 2022
Has anyone heard of blood pressure medication causing dementia? Or that the medication shows dementia symptoms but these then improve when the blood pressure medication is stopped. I’m thinking of medication like Warfarin.
I have Googled it and there is evidence of this but I was wondering if anyone had any personal experience of this?
Thanks

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Id have thought that the blood pressure that the medication is trying to control is the cause of dementia (vascular dementia) rather than the medication itself.

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
I'd take medical advice, the Warfarin could be overdoing it's job as an anticoagulant and promoting small bleeds in the brain.

Anthoula

Apr 22, 2022
Warfarin is an anticoagulant and providing a user has their INR regularly monitored and it is not high on an ongoing basis then the Warfarin should not adversely blood pressure. At least that is what I was told and I have been on Warfarin for many years.

Lawson58

Aug 1, 2014
Victoria, Australia
That’s my understanding too. My husband has been on warfarin for many years and it was prescribed for the problems with his mitral valve. He has never had high blood pressure before or after warfarin.

There is another alternative available and it does not require frequent testing so is an option. However, there is as yet no way of reversing it quickly as can be done with warfarin.

Even though my husband’s INR has been very stable, he has had a couple of nosebleeds that required a trip to hospital and has had an internal bleed which meant 8 days in hospital.

I have never heard of warfarin affecting dementia but I guess anything’s possible.

SherwoodSue

Jun 18, 2022
Has anyone heard of blood pressure medication causing dementia? Or that the medication shows dementia symptoms but these then improve when the blood pressure medication is stopped. I’m thinking of medication like Warfarin.
I have Googled it and there is evidence of this but I was wondering if anyone had any personal experience of this?
Thanks
Warfarin isn’t blood pressure medication. Anti coagulation medication such as warfarin and edoxaban can be helpful with vascular dementia. I am aware that polypharmacy ( being on too many medications) can cause confusion, but stripping out some meds from the list should only be done in discussion with your care team. Hope this helps.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hsbwuwb