Bizarre behaviour

Exhausted Lawye

Aug 25, 2014
Leicester
Hi guys

Yesterday afternoon my partner observed some very strange behaviour in Dad. He was unaware that my partner was there. Basically Dad was standing right up to the TV & reaching forward as if he was trying to pick up the words on the screen. Has anyone else observed this?

Also dads nighttime walking is getting much worse. I slept for about an hour last night with the rest of the time laying awake listening to him shuffle up & down the hall.

I'm exhausted & seem to be getting very little in the way of action from
Social services. I've managed to get extra care in place in the day but it's in the late afternoon & evenings we have the most problems. We get nothing but praise about his behaviour from the carers. Is it us that's making him worse?!

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point

marionq

Apr 24, 2013
Scotland
When my eldest grandson was a toddler be used to put his hand in my mouth to catch words. He was fascinated by stories so perhaps your Dad is doing something similar. Harmless though unusual.

The night time walking may require sleeping pills.

jeany123

Mar 24, 2012
Durham
I don't think you will be making him worse he is probably sundowning which usually occurs late afternoon and evening but can occur at any time,Sleeplessness and 'sundowning'

Many people with dementia, especially in the middle stages, experience periods of increased confusion at dusk, with their disorientation continuing throughout the night. These periods of what is known as 'sundowning' usually diminish as the dementia progresses.
Sundowning may be caused by:
mental and physical tiredness at the end of the day
reduced lighting and an increase in shadows
less need for sleep, common among older adults
an upset 'body clock' with the body mixing up day and night.

This was taken from the fact sheet about unusual behaviour n this site,http://www.alzheimers.org.uk/site/scripts/documents_info.php?documentID=159

My husband often tries to pick patterns off the carpet or quilt cover this could be something similar with the TV the moving words might be capturing his attention,,

Best wishes Jeany x

Last edited:

loveahug

Nov 28, 2012
Moved to Leicester
One of the things we covered on our Dementia Friends day at work was that some people lose the ability to distinguish between 2D and 3D, trying to pick patterns off tablecloths, grasp objects off the TV etc, so it sounds like it's fairly common.

The behaviour later in the day does sound like sundowning and the night time disturbance may be part of this. A very mild medication may be prescribed by the GP to enable a decent night's sleep for everyone.

Best wishes

2197alexandra

Oct 28, 2013
Sileby
Hi dad is forever picking at the TV. He runs his hands around the edges then dances with his fingers across the top. He grabs things from the screen. He also lasso's something from behind it. He settings his imaginary lasso and catches whatever It is and then pulls it back to him and then strokes it. It's all quite pleasant so I just leave him to it.
His night terrors however are becoming very frequent and he doesn't sleep all night. He is still awake now from yesterday. Which will now have a knock on effect that he'll sleep for days now.

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Talking Point mobile app

Exhausted Lawye

Aug 25, 2014
Leicester
Hi dad is forever picking at the TV. He runs his hands around the edges then dances with his fingers across the top. He grabs things from the screen. He also lasso's something from behind it. He settings his imaginary lasso and catches whatever It is and then pulls it back to him and then strokes it. It's all quite pleasant so I just leave him to it.
His night terrors however are becoming very frequent and he doesn't sleep all night. He is still awake now from yesterday. Which will now have a knock on effect that he'll sleep for days now.

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Talking Point mobile app

Oh my goodness. That makes me very sad & makes me feel that my worries are so insignificant ! Hugs x

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
Hi gegreen
Strange and shocking!
just to say welcome
and to let you know that this is an old thread - you can check the date and time of each post at top left of the post, just above the username, so you'll know which are current

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lana1