Bit of help and advice needed for an activity co-ordinator

Status
Not open for further replies.

xtine1985

Aug 20, 2012
Gloucestershire
Hi everyone!
I was wondering if anyone would be able to help me!?

Three months ago I started working for four elderly care homes as an activity co-ordinator.

I deal with a mixture of things including mental health, alzheimers, dementia and just general elderly care.

So far I've been getting on ok, I've done quizzes, name that tune games, board games, arts and crafts, picture games, and the usual walks, coffees out, town trips and just a chat but I'm now stumped!

The problem I'm having is that I can get a certain number of the residents to participate but the rest are just not interested. I made a bit of a breakthrough with some of the more degenerated alzhemiers women by doing their nails (painting and filling etc) and have chatted to them while I have done this.
It's basically a case of motivation but they seem to be so used to sitting in their chairs in the living room that they don't want to move and try something new!

Has anyone got any ideas for things I could do with the residents I've got very little budget and I'm starting to worry that unless I come up with something good soon I', going to lose my job!

Please help!!!!

Onlyme

Apr 5, 2010
UK
Hello.

How about armchair exercises, themed days from 1940's etc, making Christmas cards (sticking things on), making/mixing biscuits/fairy cakes, get a musician to come in, and a sing song, plan for a Choir to come to sing to them at Christmas. How about a dog or small pet like a rabbit to be brought in for them to stroke, a memory box of things from an era like old kitchen scales and implements to set them talking, a film day where you show vintage class films.

Good luck.

snedds57

Jun 15, 2011
Berwick upon Tweed
How about singing sessions - it's good for all of us and particularly people with dementia. You might have to get someone musical who can sing to come in and lead it..but everyone feels good afterwards. Beetle drives are quite good (though not all parts of the country are familiar with the game but if you google it you will find out how to play!) It incorporates different skills. And of course you have the old favourites like bingo or domino tournaments (winner stays on and everyone tries to beat them!). If you have a mixed group then you have your work cut out for you in that you won't be able to please everyone. If there are knitters who can still knit...have a simple knitting project - like squares and make them into knee rugs! Or plant seeds if there is a friendly conservatory windowledge you can put peat pots on - and then repot them at a later stage into pretty plant pots you have decorated yourselves (again, depends on the abilities of your audience!). I use lots of pictures to make up my own games and adapt regular games to suit the situation! If you have a big group split them into teams and adapt the game to suit the mix of abilities. If you have a little group, laminate some pictures of famous people of a particular genre (such as sports men) and play "Who am I" where everyone takes turns in asking questions about the person but they can only answer yes, no or maybe!! I did it with animals I had as a pet - that was laugh as I had put in pics of frogs, worms and newts! Some people need help with this if they have dementia, but if you have extra people around to play, they can usually dot themselves around and play too!

Or how about getting them to decorate cupcakes? Morrison have plain ones and loads of stuff to decorate them with (including ready made tubs of icing) and then they can eat them! Have a cream tea or a day at the races (you can get race night games online and they can bet with matchsticks). They have to be dressed up (or even just wear a hat!)

Just relax and have fun...some things work, some things don't! you just move swiftly on! :)

Last edited:

bunnies

May 16, 2010
First of all, many congratulations for trying to work out what to do in this situation. Your concern for people at all stages of the illness does you credit, and you should be given a pay rise for it, not be worrying about losing your job!

When my aunt was in a care home I was quite angry with the activity coordinator's attitude which seemed to exclude my aunt, although I knew she really benefitted from being engaged in some way with something. It's much harder to come up with things for the ones that seem not to respond to the things that we people without dementia think are 'activities'. That is, the activities you are already supplying are ones that people without an illness would also consider fun to do - and there will be people in the home, as you have found, who like these very much, but as you say, there are many there who will not take part in these kind of activities.

I feel very strongly that what is needed is a different approach in those of us trying to provide an activity, to lower our own expectation of what is good enough. My aunt could be really entertained unravelling a cotton reel for instance. The activity coordinator would never think of offering her something as 'uninteresting' as that, but that was what she found interesting. When I was there I took in things that used to be familiar to her - such as cards, sewing things, cooking things etc - but I DIDN'T play games, sew or cook... we developed new ways of using these items.

She liked to feel and watch the cards as I put them down. She liked to move one card from one place to another. She liked to feel them in her hand. The activity coordinator thought she should be encouraged to play 'patience' - wrong - and when she didn't take part the coordinator gave up and wouldn't offer her cards again.

She liked to unravel cotton reels and balls of wool. She liked to feel bits of material and put them in a pile and then look at them. She liked to have the material gently rubbed on her hand. She liked to look at knitting patterns. She liked to put sewing tools in a bag, and then take them out again. The activity coordinator thought she should be encouraged to knit, or make a material picture or bracelet - wrong - and when she didn't take an interest in these activities the coordinator gave up.

She liked to pour liquid from one cup into another (making a mess on the floor). She liked to stir things in a bowl. she liked to mash things and push them around her plate. The activity coordinator wanted her to be interested in a cakemaking activity - wrong - and when she didn't take part the coordinator gave up.

I could continue. I think these activities were great for many of the residents, but they were too goal-oriented for my aunt's level of dementia. Also most of them required her to focus further away - this is something that gets much harder it seems with the illness. She could only focus on something right in front of her, so any activity taking place around a table with lots of other people didn't work at all for her - she needed something individual in front of her.

I was convinced I could have done a much better job at the care home with this level of dementia than the activity coordinators. I appreciate this kind of activity is harder to organise because it has to be set up on an individual basis. On the other hand, once you have set it up, people might be very happy with the items and not much other input from you. Perhaps you could focus on these kind of needs every other time you are there. I tried to discuss these needs with the care home manager, but although she seemed to agree with me the activities provided in the care home never changed, so she was very dependent on me coming in every day to give her something to focus on.

Thankyou for taking the trouble to ask these questions. I hope my answer here has been a bit of help.

Last edited:

JackMac

Jun 26, 2010
west midlands
Hello

love Lemony's idea re. bringing animals in. I think people respond well to animals.

I worked in a Dementia home many years ago and the best reaction I ever saw from the residents was from music. I now see this in my own mum too.
One night my dad said there was an Irish folksy music show on tv and my mum was jigging around and smiling and that night she went to bed with no prompting and slept all night :)

At the dementia home, we organised a few concerts (my own singing teacher did this). She played old time music and went round with a microphone getting residents to sing which many did.

I think it is also worth asking all the families what kind of music each person used to like and I'm sure they will still respond to it. And maybe ask the families too what they think their relative might like to do. This also shows the families how seriously you are taking your role ;)

If they did respond well to music, its something you could do as a regular thing.

jackmac

snedds57

Jun 15, 2011
Berwick upon Tweed
I very much agree with what Bunnies has said. I know you have a very difficult task running a mixed group and probably on limited time. I think it's the set up that's wrong if you look at what is expected of activity co-ordinators to fill the needs of a varied group which almost automatically excludes those who cannot take part in group activities through their condition. I am fairly sure that you will not have time to give the one to one sessions that each person with dementia would truly need. However, perhaps you could enlist the help of volunteers, from say WRVS, who might come in and help you occasionally with one to one sessions.

I suggested to one of my carers that she unravel wool and invite her mother to help her re roll them into balls as her mother had been a knitter but couldn't do it any longer. You can sort balls of wool into colours and talk about favourites (even by just asking them point!) and put them in order of size! Sort out the messy knitting needles bag or sewing box which "miraculously" is always messy and needs sorted! You can put all sorts in a box like that but it still needs someone to facilitate if not one to one..then one to maybe three. It's not easy - I think from what you say, you are doing a great job and by asking for ideas from here shows you are committed to your job, and you should be asking for more hours to start up innovative 15 - 20 minute sessions with the dementia people!

jaymor

Jul 14, 2006
South Staffordshire
So many good ideas have been given here. How about approaching your local newspaper offices and asking for thm to supply you with some photographs from their archives. Old buildings, big events that took place etc. Hopefully the residents will have come from the local area so will recognise and talk about the photographs. It might even encourage a bit of remenising between themselves. You are doing a sterling job, well done.
Jay

Saffie

Mar 26, 2011
Near Southampton
The only activity my husband can now take part in fully, is music. His home have a chap who comes in regulrly with his kareoke(?) type equipment and sings, asking for requests etc. and encouraging all who attend to join in. It's lovely and the Activities organizers always ensure that he attends these sessions. They also do their own music sessions.

Activities have no budget at all and all funds are raised by fetes, raffles etc. They have just had a mini farm visit in the garden which is an annual event. They have a number of craft and art sessions but only a few attend these as ability and mobility is limited in what is very much a nursing home. There is a sensory room which is very relaxing - for relatives as well, I'm sure, certainly for me! Other more usual activities, e.g. bingo and the usual quizzes take place too but obviously these have limited appeal when dementia is more advanced.

I would say that music, in any form and animals - the PAT dog is wonderful - are the two most popular diversions

xtine1985

Aug 20, 2012
Gloucestershire
Thank you all for your fantastic ideas
You're right it is having the time!
I am the only activity co-ordinator and have to work accross 4 homes with 79 residents in total and I spend the equivalent of about 7.5 hours a week with each home not alot really!
I'm torn because I want to provide enough for them all to do but as you say the quieter ones automatically lose out because I just don't have enough time!
I do alot of music related activities in one of the homes as they have a piano which I play and they singalong and enjoy greatly but obviously I can't take that to every home!!! It's becoming very difficult that's for sure!
I feel sometimes as though they are expecting too much from me but at the same time I hate the thought of not being able to provide everything so I don't know if that's me putting too much pressure on myself!

Saffie

Mar 26, 2011
Near Southampton
I assume that as there are 3 homes, each is different? Does that mean different activites would appeal to residents in different homes? There are 80 residents, all nursing, in my husband's one home so that is why only a few residents will be interested or able to participate with any specific activity.

PeggySmith

Apr 16, 2012
BANES
She liked to unravel cotton reels and balls of wool. She liked to feel bits of material and put them in a pile and then look at them. She liked to have the material gently rubbed on her hand.

Try local fabric shops for small samples of different materials or carpet shops for out of date sample books

snedds57

Jun 15, 2011
Berwick upon Tweed
If it were me, I would have a rough plan for a month and use it at each home - not necessarily on the same week - so if you have planned an outing at one home one week, do the outing the next week at another. I would also try to separate out the groups according to ability and do one or two quiet group sessions per week for those who can't join in with the mainstream activity and just allow 20 - 30 mins for those sessions as the attention span won't need much more than that. They can still be involved in the main activity and I think they still enjoy being there even though they cannot actively participate - especially if everyone else is enjoying themselves and the mood is good. I think that way if you plan to match the time available then everyone gets a bite at the cherry!

bunnies

May 16, 2010
I agree with all the comments about music and animals, which always seem to get some kind of response. However, realistically these sort of events can't happen very often and I used to despair rather when if I asked the manager what could be done to provide my aunt with more suitable activity she would (always) talk about the annual visit to the farm, or the every three months visit by a musician. These events are lovely, but what our relatives need is something they can engage with on a day by day basis.

I understand you activity coordinators are spread too thinly and the expectations are far too high - it must be difficult. On this point I felt strongly that some of the activity coordinator's time would be better spent engaging the staff generally in trying to set up/keep going these individual activities with the more severely affected residents. Sometimes all it needed was for a daily carer to put a cotton reel in front of my aunt - but would they do it? No - she would sit there staring at the wall until I came in. As an activity coordinator I would try and discuss this aspect of the work with your care home managers and ask how you can involve the daily staff more in what you are trying to do.

Katrine

Jan 20, 2011
England
Don't be afraid of repetition in your programme of activities. Small children like repetition; so do elderly people. It is the comfort of recognising something familiar and being able to engage with it. Do you plan your activity year in advance? If so, then I think you could diary in popular activities on a regular basis and then look to spread out your new activities and one-off events such as a visiting musician/singer/dancer/pet handler or whatever.

Although many people with dementia lose touch with the seasons and festivals, that is no reason not to use Easter, Christmas and any other relevant festivals (relevant to the residents I mean) as a hook for activities. Christmas can last for at least 2 months, with knitting, winding pom poms, crafts, cards, paper chains etc.

Handling craft materials can be related to a theme that some residents can engage with in a purposive fashion, while others may just enjoy touching and handling the materials, as bunnies describes her aunt doing. People soon lose manual dexterity if they have nothing to handle, so never think this is pointless - it is a very valuable therapy.

How about getting some stuffed toys from charity shops? Haggle shamelessly if necessary, explain what you are wanting them for and you might even get things free. Charity shops are usually over-run with stuffed toy donations. You could get the scruffier ones (provided you can clean them) and residents could help you mend torn seams, loose eyes etc. - with the general warning of course that for some people this would not be safe - needles, buttons etc. could get swallowed. :eek:

Once your toys are mended and clean, bring them to meet your clients with dementia. With the quiet people sat in chairs, you might find that if you put a toy animal or teddy close to them that they will pick it up and play with it. A soft baby hairbrush or a ribbon might be all that is needed to keep them happy dressing the doll or stuffed toy. Should this result in "it's mine and I'm not giving it back!" then count this as success! It doesn't really matter if you get the toys cheaply.

Free stuff. Have you discovered Freecycle / Freegle? You could ask for toys, drawing paper, crayons and pencils, craft materials and musical implements, anything that you can think of really. Everyone has a set of dominoes missing a few, or incomplete packs of playing cards. People also have lots of old knitting patterns and odd balls of wool. Rubbish to most of us, but great for handling or 'sorting' activity.

P.S. With regard to cutting nails etc. I would check with the manager that you are allowed to do this - there are some strange rules around nails! If you accidentally nick the skin this is seen as an 'invasive procedure' that only medically trained people can undertake. I kid you not. Using a nail file should be OK though. My mum likes to have her nails done. Her carer sticks sparkly glitter shapes into the drying polish. Use clear polish with dementia residents because it is easier for carers to maintain hand hygeine if the nails are not covered up.

TinaT

Sep 27, 2006
Costa Blanca Spain
What a wealth of experience you have tapped into! All sound activities and very 'do able'. I totally agree with the monthly 'mapping' of each home as I've found as a teacher that preparation and knowing exactly what you are going to do is essential when faced with people expecting things from you.

Just one suggestion to add - armchair dancing - I hold the resident's hand and gently move them as I sway around. I love it and they do too! Doesn't last more than a few moments but lovely when it hits the spot with a resident who can do little more than hold hands.

xxTinaT

Time Traveller

Aug 2, 2012
There may be lottery funding for cross generation activities - my local primary school got pupils tyo ask an older person to go in and play board games. The chiulodren had to look after the older person and offer them tea and biscuits. They also had to find out what games the older generation liked playing when they were young. Thye got funding for this. As far as I know, "toys and Games" is on the National Curriculum in Primary - maybe you could explore somethinhg similar with your nearest primary school?
Secondary schools and primary do "The home front in WW2" so that is somethinhg else that scvhool children could talk to older people about - maybe over a cuppa again.

I like the idea mentioned earlier of getting old photos from a newspaper archive to get the residents to reminisce - a museum would also have these and would value having detais added to what they know about the photos.

Its lovely that you are so involved in your job, I think that whatever you come up with will be great, becvause you are obviously enthusiastic!!

susana53

Mar 15, 2010
Littlehampton, West Sussex
Hello from a fellow activity co-ordinator. I agree that it is hard to keep everyone happy all of the time.....you just can't do it! I am freelance and visit 7 separate homes. I have my regular residents that join in everything, some join in if they are 'in the mood', and some never join us. Sometimes it's not that they don't want to but they just can't due to the level of their dementia. One lady often joins us but doesn't actually do what we're doing. If we're making cards for example, she will happily spend the hour sorting through
the box of cut out pictures, putting them in nice neat piles and then handing them to me with a big smile on her face. If we're knitting, she sorts through the bag of wool and needles, that are always in a bit of a mess. When we paint, she sorts out the spare paint brushes. I never ask her to do these things. She just does her own thing while the others get on and craft.
One of my ladies always sits and watches and is first in line to tidy up all the unwanted scraps of paper etc as we go. I can guarantee that I never have to do any tidying up at that home!
Just go with the flow. You may go with the intention of doing a particular activity and end up doing something completely different. It happens to me all the time, but I am always prepared with a back up 'just in case!'.

weary1

Jul 11, 2012
Wales
Good ideas above!

I like the less formal approaches - lots of 'rummage bags' on chairs - everyone should have one. Collections of baby clothes that need folding and putting away for storage. Things to sort and tidy. Dab radio to listen to old shows or Paul Temple (Radio 4 Extra)
Find out what everyone liked to do best when they could choose freely, have lots of books, papers and mags around - don't be too tidy and sterile. One home always played War songs when, considering the age of some of the people who lived there it should have been Elvis and the Beatles. Try to get a computer (Freecycle) and go to old haunts on Google Earth, Skype the relations, bring in school children. Activities are not just for groups I like to do my things on my own often - they may be folding towels or just being able to do something useful. One home in rural Wales has orphaned lambs in spring and the people who live in the home (often from farming backgrounds) look after them as well as the hens. Let me feel useful, give me responsibility somewhere to go, things to do. Try to get a broom cupboard decorate it as a nursery and put a chair and cot in there with a life-sized baby doll (very relaxing) is there room for a shed outside that can have bits in? When people worry remind them that risk assessments are not in place to prevent people doing the things they always did they are there to provide a framework to enable them to do things they didn't think they could, as safely as possible :)

Misty activity

Mar 30, 2013
Think outside the box

Just remember you don't have to be taking part to be joining in..... I love watching people playing computer games but have no urge to join in etc. also try opening up your thinking abit. How often have you done your residents nails? How about letting them do yours, let them comb your hair instead of you doing there's. hope this helps

Status
Not open for further replies.