Birhday present ideas (late stage Alzheimers)

Lynne

Jun 3, 2005
Suffolk,England
Craig, excuse me if I'm suggesting anything inappropriate, but the BBC do loads of tapes/CDs of 'old' radio programmes, apart from music.

If your Dad can't follow a 'plot' in something like talking books, he might still enjoy something like the Goons or the Navy Lark, which have lots of 'verbal slapstick' content and catchphrases which he may remember.

http://www.bbcshop.com/bin/venda?ex...&datasource=bbcen&setpagenum=1&settypepcatid=

All the best for the day!

CraigC

Mar 21, 2003
London
Craig, excuse me if I'm suggesting anything inappropriate

Not at all Lynne! Another excellent idea. He was big on many shows like Morecambe and Wise, Dads Arm. TV is now out but the tapes may kick him off!

Excellent, please keep the ideas rolling in, much appreciated.

Kind Regards
Craig

CassElle

Jun 7, 2005
Blackpool
Re gift Ideas

Hi

Dont post much but do read often. Mum is at the same stage as a lot of your loved ones (unable to do anything) but gift times still come around and we still like to give them something that we at least think they will get something out of.

Mum likes to watch things that move and animals and birds still bring a smile to her face. Last year somebody gave mum a battery operated light that changed colours.It really captured her attention and i put it on top of her wardrobe and put it on when she went to bed. It really seemed to relax her. I commented on this to one of my sisters and at Christmas she found a ball lamp that turned and changed colours that worked of the mains. she also found
another which was 3 balls (about the size of tennis balls)that fit onto a stand to charge from the mains. When there charged I take them of the stand and put them in a line on top of the wardrobe and the big ball at the corner of the wardrobe where they are in full view of her. When mum is asleep I unplug the mains but can leave the 3 smaller ones on because they are not plugged directly into the mains.

The big ball is called a SUPERNOVA BALL and the other is called COLOUR CHANGING SPHERES.

Mum also likes listening to some CDs of garden sounds (birds twittering) etc and rainforest sounds (waterfalls) etc.

Hope this is of help.

Regards
Casselle

May

Oct 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Hi Craig

differnt smells in his room to calm him.

'Plug in' oil burners are now available, much safer than the old night light ones, which you could use whilst you're with your Dad. Try a good quality essential lavender oil (it has calming influence),Bergamot is a good oil to burn also for anxiety states. You can also use the lavender for massage by adding no more than 6 drops to 12mls of almond oil, (don't use esential oils 'neat' for massage purposes).

My Mum is in late stage Alzheimers. She has a variety of soft toys, these do keep her hands occupied, far less plucking and pleating of bedsheets goes on now. Her favourite is a small teddy bear, very soft and furry, made for children under three, so if she does chew a paw (which does happen:eek:)there's no problem!

Hope your successful in finding something to amuse your Dad.

CraigC

Mar 21, 2003
London
Thanks again, more fantastic ideas.

Had a visit with dad today and to be honest he was a little disturbed and quiet again. I know this sounds bizaar, but I went into a pet shop with my daughter and we bought dad a dog pull rope. It is like a soft dog toy to help with their teeth. Two soft ends with two knots and a piece of soft rope between. It made me realise how wonderfully my 9 year old daughter takes all this in her stride, amazing.

We gave it to dad and helped him pull on it and he really took to it. It felt soft and it seemed to give him security and comfort. Eventually he started pulling on it and felt pleased with himself. So fingers crossed it will help in some way.

He didn't speak much and it was just one of those funny visits that leaves you with a lump in your throat that will not go away. But I hope this is the start of trying new things and perhaps others can benefit from this thread sometime in the future.

It saves sowing a few buttons at least and gave him some comfort for a few moments.

Many thanks and please don't stop with all these great ideas.
Craig

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
I think this is a really excellent example of thinking outside the box, Craig. I hope that doesn't sound patronizing: I'm not so good at that sort of thinking so when I see it I'm really impressed :D

Love

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
What a great idea, Craig.

I can't buy soft toys for Skye, she just chews them to ribbong within five minutes, but our local shop has loads of them. I'll look at them with new eyes next time I'm buying food for Skye.

CraigC

Mar 21, 2003
London
Hi All,

We tooks load of presents to dad today (bit early but close to his birthday), lots of cakes for residents and staff and had a lovely afternoon. Dad jumped out his skin when we blew out the candles and we had some really lovely little moments. We had a lot of interesting presents thanks to to the stimulation of this thread and it was lovely watching his reaction to smell and taste today. The staff always know how to make something special.

dadbirthday.jpg

He is a lovely man and I'm very proud of him today. He will soon be 75 years old and holds on to life somehow.

Thanks again for all your help and kind words. All these ideas and stimulation; I think his brithday will last a long time.

This little thread in cyberspace gave me a lot of inspiration.

Kindest Regards
Craig

May

Oct 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Craig

So pleased to hear that your Dad's pre - birthday party went well,and that he had lots of lovely presents to make him happy.
I assume you will be throwing another party on the right day, can't have too many you know.:D:D:D

Take care

PS I too was impressed with your daughter's lateral thinking.

citybythesea

Mar 23, 2008
coast of texas
I too am happy his pre-birthday party went well.
when it came to gift giving with mom it was hard. End stage is not easy....I found tho that even though mom wasw not stimulated by t.v. or much of anything like that she did seem to open up with some of thedvd's I got her that she could possibly relate too. At Christmas we has seen the Chipmunk movie and partially thru the movie she started to laugh, I thought maybe it was because everybody was laughing, but thn when I put it in the dvd player at home and it was just the 2 of us she still laughed. The same went for the movie "Evan Almighty" and a few other animated movies that are recent. I can't remember the name of the movie, but mom just loved the little squirrel who was after the acorn. (Both the beginning and end of movie) He just never seemed to get it. So maybe with a little prodding the home might find something he enjoys. (A local Alzheimer Home calls and regularly pulls on my daughters and my collection of dvds as they are more "chick" flick types and comedy with some animated comedy. The director swears that some of their worst patients relate in some way.)

HUGS

Nancy