Big social event

Rachael81

Dec 31, 2015
Dewsbury, West Yorkshire
Any tips on dealing with PWD in big social occasions?

I get married a week on Saturday and I'm worried about mum during the day (20 of us) but mainly at night with 150 guests. There'll be some of my mums cousins who'll want to chat with her but I don't think know about her dementia or if they do they don't know how bad it can be.

father ted

Aug 16, 2010
London
No idea how you should handle it but do know that it is your special day for you to remember and you don't want it spoilt by the anticipation of what could go wrong and what the cousins will make of your Mum.

My advice would be to put your Mum 'in the care' of someone you trust who can support her through the day and deal with anything that may crop up so you are not looking over your shoulder all the time. It could be someone in the family or a friend you trust who knows your Mum so they can help her if need be. If her cousins have not seen her for a while I would not worry. If she says something odd or acts in a strange way there will be so much more going on it won't be an issue. Enjoy your day. X

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
My husband was at my daughter's wedding. The only way I managed was that one of his daughters and an adult grandson cam, for the wedding, but mostly to take care of him on the day. We also were fortunate in that the church was about five or ten minutes drive from home, so after the service while photos were being taken etc, he was taken home for a rest. Then the hotel where the reception was held was only about fifteen minutes from home. So he was brought there for the meal, which he enjoyed, and after the speeches, his daughter and grandson took him home. Only blip we had was that after I had him dressed and ready to go to the church, he wet his trousers and had to be changed. And you can see in the photos that I have a rather firm grip on him!

So, it can, depending on how your mum is, work. But it is YOUR day. Delegate care of your mum to someone, and make sure they know their responsibilities. Whoever is in charge of her should have a bag in their car with emergency kit: spare pads, latex gloves, wipes, plastic bags, and a complete change of clothes for your mum.

And do contact the relatives and put them in the picture. And have a wonderful day. Xx