1. Q&A: "Loneliness and isolation" - Tuesday 30 Oct, 2-3pm

    Are you experiencing loneliness and isolation? Do you care for someone with dementia or have dementia yourself? We are here to answer your questions on this emotive topic. Our next expert Q&A will be hosted by Anne from our Helpline team. She will be answering your questions on Tuesday 30 October from 2-3pm. Want to ask questions in advance, or don’t think you can make it? You can either post questions here or email them to us at talkingpoint@alzheimers.org.uk and we'll answer as many as we can on Tuesday 30th of October from 2-3 pm.

    Pop by and post your questions now and we'll answer them on Tuesday.


Discussion in 'Legal and financial issues' started by Butterfly58, Jun 5, 2018.

  1. Butterfly58

    Butterfly58 Registered User

    Jun 4, 2018
    Hi my stepfather has been in a nursing home for 2 months. I sent off all the documents for a finance assessment, the assessment team contacted me to say his savings account passbook needed to have interest put on, they said they were returning the passbook for me to update. Three weeks later it turned up,the address was wrong and it was only due to the postman knowing my name that it found it’s way to me.Inside was a stamped addressed return envelope and cover letter but no passbook,l phoned them to alert them to situation, they insisted they sent it and have said my stepfather will be charged full amount but will be refunded once matter has reached satisfactory conclusion, l went to the bank today to ask for the details of this account,they would not deal with me as I have no power of attorney, surely it is not right to charge my stepfather full care costs when they have lost his passbook, l wouldn’t mind but it only had about 3 hundred pounds in it and in total he only has fourteen thousand in all. My stepfather owns his house but his wife resides there.

    Can anyone advise please.
  2. Amethyst59

    Amethyst59 Volunteer Host

    Jul 3, 2017
    @Butterfly58, the situation you and your stepfather are in, is appalling. I am sorry that I have no concrete advice for you, but if another member with more knowledge has not advised you within a few hours, can I suggest that you ring the helpline? You must be feeling so frustrated, and it is such a stupid situation when the amount of money in question is so low. Your stepfather is so close to the point when he won’t be self funding at all.

    National Dementia Helpline
    0300 222 11 22
    Our helpline advisers are here for you.
    Helpline opening hours:
    Monday to Wednesday 9am – 8pm
    Thursday and Friday 9am – 5pm
    Saturday and Sunday 10am – 4pm
  3. Pacucho

    Pacucho Registered User

    Dec 20, 2009
    Wembley, Middlesex
    Another suggestion to consider is making an official complaint using their procedures, which you should be able to find on their website. It may be this is the only way they will begin to listen !
    Hope this helps,

  4. canary

    canary Registered User

    Feb 25, 2014
    South coast
    Is your dad able to sign his name if you ask him to?
    We had a financial assessment recently and I couldnt find OHs Building Society passbook either, so I wrote a letter on word documents, printed it off and OH signed it, then sent it to the Building Society. There were no problems with OHs Building Society and they were very efficient sending a new passbook (all interest recorded) within a few days.
  5. Shedrech

    Shedrech Volunteer Moderator

    Dec 15, 2012
    hello @Butterfly58
    and welcome to TP
    might be worth asking the LA whether they took a photocopy/scan of the passbook (I know when I worked in insurance we routinely kept a copy of documents sent in) and if so maybe point out to them that the interest on such a small sum is itself going to be a very small sum
    and actually, if no-one has POA, you're not sure what the position of the bank will be when you ask for the passbook to be updated - you could point that out to the LA too
    I'd be tempted to ask for proof of posting (they would if things were the other way round), and point out that the letter was incorrectly addressed so you have proof of at least one mistake on their part
    maybe also ask what exactly they intend to do should you be unable to do anything about this £300 plus interest, as you wonder what the legal situation is should they take all your dad's savings when he has a right to keep whatever amount the lower threshold is (£14250 I believe, at the moment) - and ask for answers in writing from the manager
    who knows, may make them think again
    is there any chance of POAs being done, it will take a few months to process but would stop anything like this being a problem in the future (I hesitate to suggest Deputyship given the low level of your dad's finances, but it may be worth organising this in case the LA decide to instead)
  6. Butterfly58

    Butterfly58 Registered User

    Jun 4, 2018
    Many thanks Shedrech for replying to my post, I did ask the LA for details of the account so I could attempt to get the interest made up on account but they would not tell me they said they did not have it, I know I wrote the details on the form I had to fill in which went with the said passbook.
    I have been to the bank but had no luck they would not entertain me without POA. l have now contacted a solicitor who has assessed my father and is now about to send the forms of to the office of public guardian.
    I know this can take up to ten weeks, I just hope the LA will defer payment until this can be sorted out.
  7. Butterfly58

    Butterfly58 Registered User

    Jun 4, 2018
  8. Butterfly58

    Butterfly58 Registered User

    Jun 4, 2018
    Hello canary many thanks for replying to my post, l am afraid my stepfather cannot sign his name.I have now managed to have a mental capacity assessment carried out with a solicitor and doctor, they have said I can go ahead and get POA, I am worried that the LA will charge my stepfather the full rate until I get it all sorted, they have not sent me a bill as yet.
  9. Butterfly58

    Butterfly58 Registered User

    Jun 4, 2018
    Hello Paco l should indeed complain officially, but I know this will get me nowhere. I asked for the details of the account which I wrote on the assessment form, they refused to provide me with the information, said they have no details as the passbook has been lost in post.
    Many thanks for your reply, nice to know someone out there cares.
  10. Butterfly58

    Butterfly58 Registered User

    Jun 4, 2018
  11. Butterfly58

    Butterfly58 Registered User

    Jun 4, 2018
    Thank you for your suggestion, unfortunately my stepfather cannot sign his name.I have now applied for a POA.
  12. Butterfly58

    Butterfly58 Registered User

    Jun 4, 2018
    I have now had a telephone call from the LA to say my stepfathers pass book has been located, I am now able to go to the bank to get the interest added, does anyone know if I can do this without POA.
  13. Butterfly58

    Butterfly58 Registered User

    Jun 4, 2018

Share This Page