Beware of Butrans Morphine patch

Josephine1

Jan 5, 2016
Hi,
I just want to share the impact that a morphine BuTrans patch had on my Mother so that others can be aware that this drug has risks that you need to be aware of.

My Mum had mid stage Alzheimer's and unfortunately had to go into a home as she had agitation and she wouldn't accept carers at home. After 4 months she had a fall which was partly due to the agitation and she fractured her wrist. The home got a BuTrans patch prescribed from the GP for pain relief however it heavily sedated her and started to cause her to have problems swallowing. Due to lack of adequate handover between shifts the cause of the sedation and drinking problems weren't associated to the patch. I arrived 3 days after the fall and was highly concerned by her delirium however the carers were saying it could be a urine infection (which later turned out to be negative). After 5 days the manager of another home alerted me to the fact it was very likely to be the BuTrans patch. We requested that it was removed and she started to improve however due to her problems swallowing she had aspirated and developed a chest infection. We also think she developed thrush from the antibiotics which gave her a sore throat. It meant that she continued to have problems swallowing. She died 3 weeks later in hospital as she stopped swallowing. Stopping swallowing is meant to be quite common in the terminal stages of Alzheimer's however I believe the morphine speeded this up as before she took it she was a long way away from the terminal stages. I'm keen to post this as I'd looked up BuTrans on this forum but I didn't see any mention of the risks or adverse reactions.

I wish I'd known what I do now however unfortunately it's too late to bring her back. I hope it helps others to be aware of the side effects / risks of opiates and avoid our tragic experience.

Last edited:

father ted

Aug 16, 2010
London
Hello Josephine,

First let me say I am sorry for your loss especially in such harrowing circumstances. I have not heard about these patches before but your experience coupled with the information from the manager of another home it certainly is cause for concern.
Thank you for posting it on this forum and alerting us all to this potential danger.

Kevinl

Aug 24, 2013
Salford
My wife had her wrist broken when another resident pushed her over, a man in the home recently broke his hip and neither showed any signs of actually feeling any pain. My wife kept taking the strapping off and the man with the broken hip kept getting up and trying to walk, I'm surprised they gave some one with AZ morphine patches.
My wife couldn't have them as she was taking an SSRI medication (Citlopram) but there's a lot of other things the patches can't be mixed with including things like ginseng which I know some people on here take.
See the link below about serotonin syndrome/
K

https://www.drugs.com/mcd/serotonin-syndrome

Josephine1

Jan 5, 2016
My wife had her wrist broken when another resident pushed her over, a man in the home recently broke his hip and neither showed any signs of actually feeling any pain. My wife kept taking the strapping off and the man with the broken hip kept getting up and trying to walk, I'm surprised they gave some one with AZ morphine patches.
My wife couldn't have them as she was taking an SSRI medication (Citlopram) but there's a lot of other things the patches can't be mixed with including things like ginseng which I know some people on here take.
See the link below about serotonin syndrome/
K

https://www.drugs.com/mcd/serotonin-syndrome
Hi. That's very interesting. My Mum had been on Sertraline which is another anti-depressant so I guess that could have also had an impact. I was just really angry as they simply told me it was a pain patch so I'd assumed it was a form of paracetamol. When I did pick up that it was morphine I still wasn't really aware of the dangers. I've also heard subsequently that it shouldn't be used on Alzheimer's. To be fair I'm sure there's a lot a people who benefit but you really need to be aware. My Mum had fractured her wrist however it was well supported and she had still taken paracetamol before the patch. I suspect the home gave it to her as she was still agitated after the fall and morphine is a way of sedation. Be aware! Use with caution.

Georgina63

Aug 11, 2014
@Josephine1, as a daughter of both parents with dementia, I was catching up on your thread after seeing your comment on another post, and just wanted to say I'm so sorry to read about your Mum. Take care. Gx

Josephine1

Jan 5, 2016
@Josephine1, as a daughter of both parents with dementia, I was catching up on your thread after seeing your comment on another post, and just wanted to say I'm so sorry to read about your Mum. Take care. Gx
Thanks! It's been a hard journey. Dad's at home still with carers which we hope will continue however he is often quite a handful. I hope your experience hasn't been as difficult.

Redbutterfly

Mar 8, 2015
West Sussex
Hi,
I just want to share the impact that a morphine BuTrans patch had on my Mother so that others can be aware that this drug has risks that you need to be aware of.

My Mum had mid stage Alzheimer's and unfortunately had to go into a home as she had agitation and she wouldn't accept carers at home. After 4 months she had a fall which was partly due to the agitation and she fractured her wrist. The home got a BuTrans patch prescribed from the GP for pain relief however it heavily sedated her and started to cause her to have problems swallowing. Due to lack of adequate handover between shifts the cause of the sedation and drinking problems weren't associated to the patch. I arrived 3 days after the fall and was highly concerned by her delirium however the carers were saying it could be a urine infection (which later turned out to be negative). After 5 days the manager of another home alerted me to the fact it was very likely to be the BuTrans patch. We requested that it was removed and she started to improve however due to her problems swallowing she had aspirated and developed a chest infection. We also think she developed thrush from the antibiotics which gave her a sore throat. It meant that she continued to have problems swallowing. She died 3 weeks later in hospital as she stopped swallowing. Stopping swallowing is meant to be quite common in the terminal stages of Alzheimer's however I believe the morphine speeded this up as before she took it she was a long way away from the terminal stages. I'm keen to post this as I'd looked up BuTrans on this forum but I didn't see any mention of the risks or adverse reactions.

I wish I'd known what I do now however unfortunately it's too late to bring her back. I hope it helps others to be aware of the side effects / risks of opiates and avoid our tragic experience.

10pompey10

Jan 11, 2012
I am so sorry to hea4 that your mother died in such circumstances. Your comments re the butrans patch caught my attention.I have always dreaded losing my mother. She is will be 99 on 28th dec and is very sleepy today. She lives with me. About 9months ago the district nurses insisted on using the 5mcg butrans patch I.e the lowest dose. It knocks my mother out for a minimum of one day a week. If I was with her 24/7 it would in my opinion kill her as it makes her so weak. The district nurses and the doctor mean well but if they were looking after their own mother would they really want this patch. I don’t think so. I was able to give my mother 2 small ensures and tomato soup yesterday but it took until midnight. For someone like my mother who is only 6 stones or possibly less now this far more hinderance than help and can in some cases , perhaps most, hasten death. If I was not able to watch her 24/7 it would kill her.