Best interest meeting - what is it?

fr0d0

Dec 23, 2009
Mid Wales
I've received a registered letter inviting me to a best interest meeting for my mum.

It's on an inconvenient date. I have important work scheduled from weeks ago that can't move, and my wife is taking training also already booked.

I informed the hospital and they said that the meeting couldn't be postponed due to all of the professionals invited. This is one social worker and a hospital appointed advocate for my mum.

We have requested the NHS raise our objections to appeal as they have just invited us to do.

What is this meeting likely to be for. Does anyone know?

Thanks

Last edited:

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
If a person has been assessed and judged incapable of making a specific decision (or several decisions) a best interests meeting has to be called to make that decision (or decisions) on their behalf.

>>>SOME INFO<<<

fr0d0

Dec 23, 2009
Mid Wales
Thank you nitram. Now I know exactly what it is.

Other key people: the LPA
"Take into account the views of the family"

I think they're failing on these criteria.

Wirralson

Account Closed
May 30, 2012
You state you have been told only one social worker and the hospital appointed advocate are the only individuals invited. This strikes me as slightly odd. In my mother's case the Best Interests meeting included the consultant psychiatrist, a staff grade psychiatrist, 2x psychiatric nurses, 2 x occupational therapists (OT), 1 x Speech and Language Therapist (SALT), 1 x Ward Manager, 1 x Community Psychiatric Nurse and 1 x Secretary all from the NHS and one AMHP Social Worker and one non-AMHP social worker, plus the Independent Mental Capacity Advocate (IMCA). I'm not saying all meetings would require all of these, as in my mother's case the meeting was also planning her onward care and some of the individuals present were there for that purpose. I'm a little surprised that there isn't scheduled to be some clinical representation - at the very least a staff grade psychiatrist or mental health nurse, and I'd suggest asking why there isn't. Their evidence and the clinical notes may be of relevance to the discussion.

W