Being Refused Aricept

ElaineMaul

Jan 29, 2005
Hi,
I have tried a little scan on the Internet for information but I'm sure someone here will have already come across this.
After what seems like a very long battery of tests, heart medication adjustments and more tests, the hospital have said that my Dad is not suitable for Aricept.

Now........ since this drug is expensive ....... I'm immediately suspicious! However, it may be right since, approx 15-16 years ago he had what they thought was probably a mild heart attack (it couldn't be proved conclusively that that was what it was) and had been on high blood pressure + cholesterol treatment ever since.

In one of the tests they did recently, they found that his heart rate was very slow and so adjusted his medication ..... followed by more EGCs etc.

So ..... later this week, my Mum will be going with Dad to their GP ........ are there any questions she could ask the doctor to try and determine why precisely this decision has been made? Dad is actually a very fit man for his age (74) ..... he does a lot of walking (and I really do mean a lot of walking ....... he thinks nothing of walking a couple of miles) ...... although he is very slightly over-weight, but nothing serious.
Thanks for any help
Elaine

Sheila

Oct 23, 2003
West Sussex
Dear Elaine, you have answered the question yourself really. All you can do is ask the GP precisely why your father is not suitable. The same thing happened with my Mum, not Aricept but another dementia drug. We were told it could increase the likelihood of further strokes. Good luck to your Mum on her visit to GP, hope you get some answers. Love She. XX

ElaineMaul

Jan 29, 2005
Thank-you Sheila and Jude,
I'll pass the information on to my Mum.
In actual fact, their doctor is a very good doctor and has been very supportive over this. I think it was because she also had a parent with dementia that she has pushed for my Dad to be assessed and for the Community Nurse to visit etc .... possibly sooner than another doctor might.
I know only too well from what happened with my father-in-law that some of the NHS leaves much to be desired but, in this case, she's an example of the good that can still be found ......... I know my Mum feels confident that she (the doctor that is!) will 'stand their corner', so to speak.

Elaine

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jwpp