Beginnings of dementia

Shansi

Jul 11, 2024
Hi everyone, My partner (75) has the beginnings of dementia. I am sure you all know how it goes. No short term memory, confused with directions, decision making is always difficult. Sometimes takes things the wrong way and can get irritated quickly. No good with any technology. Now it’s obvious that this began slowly several years ago. Not sure he remembers he has been to the DR . Otherwise he functions ok. Gardening, DIY maintenance. Loves to see family. We have three great supportive children.
i know this will get worse and the question is , any way of knowing how quickly. I suspect to answer to that is everyones different. I find i am biting my tongue to keep the peace some of the time. I have dealt with a family member before with vascular dementia so know how this goes.
thanks for reading!

Last edited:

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Welcome to the forum @Shansi.

I'm really sorry to hear about your partner's dementia. It must be tough for your both.

I think you're right when you say everyone is different. My own husband lived for 15 years after his diagnosis of Alzheimers. I have friends whose husbands only lived 5 years. Impossible to say how quicky your partner's dementia will progress. Perhaps this link will be of interest -

Many members have found this thread useful in terms of communicating with their loved one as their dementia progresses -

I'm glad you've found the forum. You'll find understanding and support here.

Gosling

Volunteer Host
Aug 2, 2022
South West UK
Hello and welcome from me also @Shansi to this friendly and supportive forum. There is a wealth of shared experience of dementia here so I am glad you have found us.

I am sorry to read about your partner. My Mum lived for eight years after her diagnosis. I just say this to echo what has been said, that everyone's path is different and certainly time wise very much so. Enjoy the good times, cherish them, and try not to look too much into the future I would say.
This is such a great forum for sound advice, understanding and just a listening ear sometimes. You will certainly find that people here really do want to help.