befriender

anne mason

Feb 22, 2024
Hi mum in care home. I visit everyday but it isnt enough. She gets lonely and needs a new face to chat with. How do I find someone who will visit her

Gosling

Volunteer Host
Aug 2, 2022
South West UK
Hello @anne mason and firstly welcome to this friendly and supportive forum. There is a lot of shared experience of dementia here and members really do want to help.

I am sorry to read about your Mum. It's great that you are able to visit everyday - but that's an awful lot of pressure on you though. I hope you get some time to do things that you like to do; a bit of me time if you like.
This link may provide some info on local support:

Sarasa

Volunteer Host
Apr 13, 2018
Nottinghamshire
A warm welcome to Dementia Support Forum @anne mason.
Have you spoken to the manager and other staff about how your mum is when you’re not there? She may well be joining in with things, but forgetting that she is doing so. I also wonder if visiting every day is making her focus on you rather than engaging with staff and other residents. It sounds counterintuitive but maybe don’t visit for a week and see if that helps.
This is a very friendly and supportive place so I’m sure others will be along shortly twitch their ideas.