Bed bolster

cake4tea

Jan 22, 2014
Does anyone know where I could get a bed bolster. My mom has a stoma bag and can rolls onto it at night when it can burst, I wondered if there is anything I could get to put down the side of the bed to stop her rolling onto her side and bursting the bag we empty it every evening before bed.

I find it very very stressful doing the pouch, and mom can see I hate doing it. I can empty it but cutting out the stoma shape and putting it on really scares me even though the stoma nurse has showed us how. Mom is unable to do it herself due to her alzheimers.

marionq

Apr 24, 2013
Scotland
I put a pillow on what was my side of the bed to stop John rolling over to that side. I bought a pair of “firm” pillows from M&S and the are like bricks. Too uncomfortable to sleep on but good as a barrier or if he is sitting up in bed.

witts1973

Jun 20, 2018
Leamington Spa
Does anyone know where I could get a bed bolster. My mom has a stoma bag and can rolls onto it at night when it can burst, I wondered if there is anything I could get to put down the side of the bed to stop her rolling onto her side and bursting the bag we empty it every evening before bed.

I find it very very stressful doing the pouch, and mom can see I hate doing it. I can empty it but cutting out the stoma shape and putting it on really scares me even though the stoma nurse has showed us how. Mom is unable to do it herself due to her alzheimers.

Have you been in contact with district nurses yet,whey have been great at reassuring me with giving care to my mum,if you're lacking a bit of confidence with this call them out or they may pass you to the appropriate people

Toony Oony

Jun 21, 2016
Can't think where I have seen them (perhaps on the well known auction site?) but I think there is a large long bed pillow that goes lengthwise for pregnant Mums to support their bump. Would that be any good?

TheBearsMummy

Sep 29, 2017
East Midlands
The company that supplies my pwd with stoma bags called to ask if there was anything they could do to help her. They have a stoma nurse who will visit if needed.
I was very impressed with their customer service.
My pwd is a retired nurse so copes quite well so far, she cuts all the holes when she opens a new box so they are ready to hand when needed

maryjoan

Mar 25, 2017
South of the Border

My partner had a stoma and three weeks later his dementia was diagnosed. He has never learnt how to change the bag - and I once found him with it stuck on his leg instead of the stoma. The stoma nurse came up with the idea of someone in a uniform ( ie carer) changing it for him. The stoma nurse then in a stern voice forbade him from ever trying to ever change it himself. He now reacts favourably to someone in a uniform doing it, rather than me.

The carer comes every morning to change the bag - social services pay as we are on extremely limited income - but it only takes about 20 mins to do it properly and monitor stoma health etc - and if paying privately it should be quite reasonable.

I am able to change his bag in emergency, but like you, I really hate doing it, loathe doing it, and he hates me having to do it.

Having the carer do the bag has changed our lives very much for the better.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leigh_77