1. katmat

katmat Registered User

Dec 23, 2015
    How can I get my mam to go to out She is so stubborn sits in the chair day be length doing her wordsearch If I mention getting up and about she ignores me

2. Cat27

Cat27 Volunteer Moderator

Feb 27, 2015
    Merseyside
    Welcome to TP :)

Unfortunately you can't make her go out. She probably feels safe at home so wants to stay there.

3. hvml

hvml Registered User

Oct 10, 2015
    North Cornwall
    Hi katmat.

My experience of dementia is that you can't apply 'normal' rules of behaviour and need to adjust your own to your mum's patterns. As Cat says, she probably feels safe at home and in a familiar place. The confusion that comes with this horrible disease is awful for all concerned and must be terrifying for the sufferer. Going out is a nice thing for us, but there are all sorts of unknowns involved and it's understandable that people may avoid it.

Heidi xx

4. Witzend

Witzend Registered User

Aug 29, 2007
    SW London
    Beyond a relatively early stage I could hardly ever get my mother out, either. If I did ever manage it, she would be fretting so much half a mile down the road that I would have to take her back. In the end I gave up - it just wasn't worth the hassle. As others have said, I think it's because the person feels safe and comfortable at home. To be honest, I wouldn't waste breath or energy trying to fight it.