Baubles, lights and brandy

AbbyGee

Nov 26, 2018
Portsmouth, South Coast
Tuesday 5th December will be the first anniversary of my husband's final gentle journey into the blue yonder.

I was not looking forward to it but have decided to make it a sort of private celebration of our lives together.

I bought a small artificial Christmas tree a while back - just a 4 feet high thing (I'm not going to try and wrangle the six feet plus tree that's lurking in the attic!) - and will spend some of Tuesday decorating it with baubles, lights, and some of the odd little bits we picked up over the years. He was like a kid when it came to decorating the tree so that idea seems quite fitting.
A glass of his favourite tipple, brandy, will help pass the time whilst I'm no doubt cursing the hangers for not hanging, the lights for not staying where I want them, and the baubles for deciding to bounce their own sweet way.

I'll also get some seasonal music playing and chat to him in his box as I usually do.

This could well be 'our' last Christmas together in this house so I want to make it a bit special and will go seek some real candles, now that it's safe to light them.

Unsure what I'll do on 22nd December to commemorate his funeral but that seems less important so I'll simply wing it with a bottle of something nice, a platter of party-style pickits, and more music.

Lawson58

Aug 1, 2014
Victoria, Australia
I think that sounds a wonderful idea, doing the things you used to do together at such a special time. Remembering all the sweet times can be a great way through the grieving process and I hope you get through 22nd with as much grace as today.

Merry Christmas.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
That sounds like a lovely and very fitting tribute doing something to bring back the good memories and will last you through Christmas.
xxx

Jale

Jul 9, 2018
Hope all goes well for you on Tuesday - a lovely way to remember happier times.

CAL Y

Jul 17, 2021
@AbbyGee . I have been doing the same as you for the last 2 years on “particular “ anniversaries and have found it a great comfort.
I believe it has helped me to accept things and make a new life for myself.
Keep doing what you are doing. It does help.