Bath boards

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
So, I want to get carers in to help OH shower. He was in hospital for a week with a UTI and loss of mobility. His mobility is returning, but it is not as good as previously. We have had carers coming in to help him wash and dress under the reablement scheme and I want to continue carers after this reablement period as I was having to shower him even before he went into hospital

He had to have an OT shower assessment before he was allowed to have a shower at all and, unfortunately, OH was on a a "good" day and was in spectacular Host mode so that he was able to shower himself without any assistance :confused::confused::confused: . The OT pronounced that he didnt need any help with showering and carers have been withdrawn. We will be self-funding so Ive contacted a couple of care agencies who have both said that as the shower is over a bath we will need a bath board for him to sit on while he is being showered.

I know nothing about bath boards. Anyone know where I can get one and are there different types? Which sort is best? Will they fit all types of bath?
Any advice welcome.

jugglingmum

Jan 5, 2014
Chester
was in spectacular Host mode so that he was able to shower himself without any assistance :confused::confused::confused: . The OT pronounced that he didnt need any help with showering and carers have been withdrawn.

I'm so sorry this happened and that the OT didn't understand host mode.

No idea on bath boards although I have seen others post about them. Hopefully someone who knows will be along soon.

More (((((hugs))))))

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
This kind of thing
Bathboard-Including-Handle.jpg

Best thing is to ask LA OT for advice.
Have the care agencies any suggestionds?
Failing both of above contact a local 'mobility' shop.
If you don't know of one PM me your postcode and I will have a look and PM you back.

Philbo

Feb 28, 2017
Kent
Hi @canary

Bath_Seat.jpg

I got one like this a couple of years ago for my wife, as I had difficulties getting her to sit down in the bath. She only used it a couple of times before refusing to sit on it so we went to plan C:rolleyes:.

I got it from an online "careshop" and I think it was only about £18 - if you Google "PVC Bath Seats" you'll see loads.

I could post you our one for free but it would probably cost more for postage than for you to buy one?:eek: Unless you've any reason to visit East Kent.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Thank you @nitram and @Philbo - two completely different seats! Which type to choose? Decisions, decisions.....

Thank you for your offer Philbo, but unfortunately I think I am too far west and I cant leave OH for very long now.
Ive googled "mobility shop near me" and found some, thank you nitram.
Time for some research. Oh happy days :rolleyes:

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
I think you will find that @Philbo 's offer is a bath seat, mine was a bath board, doesn't matter what they are called, they both do the same job.
Don't want you to get tied up in semantics when making enquiries.

Philbo

Feb 28, 2017
Kent
Thank you @nitram and @Philbo - two completely different seats! Which type to choose? Decisions, decisions.....

Thank you for your offer Philbo, but unfortunately I think I am too far west and I cant leave OH for very long now.
Ive googled "mobility shop near me" and found some, thank you nitram.
Time for some research. Oh happy days :rolleyes:

Understood.:)

Worth comparing local prices with online offerings (though there can be a wide variation in prices online too?). Ours arrived very quickly and was as good as the reviews suggested.

Happy shopping.

Philbo

Feb 28, 2017
Kent
I think you will find that @Philbo 's offer is a bath seat, mine was a bath board, doesn't matter what they are called, they both do the same job.
Don't want you to get tied up in semantics when making enquiries.

You're right - I looked at both at the time. Advantage of the board is it sits on top so is higher, but I was worried that it may slip into the bath as ours has sculptured edges. The bath seat, though lower, was height adjustable and seemed more secure, given its legs rested on the bottom of the bath. "Different horses for different courses":D

Mydarlingdaughter

Oct 25, 2019
North East England UK
Bath boards are great but its best get OT to measure up for you and supply you with one to fit as its important doesn't slip. slip. They can be used 2 ways, 1 way to sit on whilst getting in to position, swing legs over, and the other way is sitting there and someone else showering you. Unless you have a shower where the controls are very low down, another person is required to operate the shower while he is sitting. The OT will assess and demonstrate how they are used.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
I was worried that it may slip into the bath as ours has sculptured edges.
Aha! Good point. Our bath has a sculptured edge too. Thanks for the correct term @nitram
its best get OT to measure up for you and supply you with one to fit as its important doesn't slip. ...<snip>.......The OT will assess and demonstrate how they are used.
This is indeed what I hoped would happen, but unfortunately the OT was taken in by OHs Hosting abilities (the ability to suddenly appear almost normal in front of medical people) and decided that he did not need any equipment, nor needed anyone to assist him with showering - neither of which is true.

Andrew_McP

Mar 2, 2016
South Northwest
I bought one of these last week...
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Medokare-S...d=1572023865&sprefix=bath+tran,aps,163&sr=8-3 ...but our bath is apparently a bit weird and outside its normal range of fit, so the floor legs need propping up. I've done that with a big 2" block which is solid and secure, but it's annoying. Thought I'd done my research, but I'm losing my touch. A good example of why it makes sense to get OT in for advice (and potential freebies), but this is a do as I say, not as I do thing. I'd rather make a mistake than ask for help (it's a man thing... I get lost a lot too ;-))

The bench is potentially very useful, but I have yet to put it to the test. Mum has to be in the right frame of mind for me to even risk getting her hair washed, let alone have a shower!

That reminds me, must check my will's up to date.

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
This was our shower board and it came for free via the OT so I can't comment on costs etc, but I do think that if all care agencies say he needs one then the OT should take that into consideration.

image.jpg

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Thank you @Beate and @Andrew_McP
I had no idea there were so many different designs

However, events may have overtaken me. OH is back in hospital again having had 5 generalised seizures close together soon after I last posted. The doctor in A&E said that he thinks that the UTI never went away completely and sepsis was mentioned. :eek:
He was given a large dose of lorazapam to stop the seizures and is being pumped full of antibiotics.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
However, events may have overtaken me. OH is back in hospital again having had 5 generalised seizures close together soon after I last posted. The doctor in A&E said that he thinks that the UTI never went away completely and sepsis was mentioned. :eek:

Oh dear @canary. What a worry.

marshal

Sep 6, 2017
Oh my word I have just seen your last post. So sorry this has happened. It touched a nerve because it sounds like a very similar situation that we went through a short time ago. It turned out to be the underlying urine infection and sepsis that caused the seizures. Very frightening experience for all involved. I hope things go good for your LO and the infection gets kicked into touch quickly. Thinking of you both.

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
my goodness @canary
just off to bed myself
sending the 2 of you positive, warm thoughts .... hoping you both get some rest tonight