Banks....and registering and EPA

carastro

May 7, 2012
This thread has got rather complicated with some people talking about LPA and some talking about EPA which are different.

The original poster has an EPA. I am surprised that an earlier poster said that you don't have to have an EPA certified by a solicitor, as in my experience I have even had certified copies rejected because the daft person at the other end didn't know what they were doing. I have always been asked for a certified copy.

I am also surprised to hear that different banks have different criteria in what they will allow you to do as a Registered Attorney.

As you are having to manage your mum's finances - if the bank will not co-operate, you are allowed as an Attorney to have your mum's pension paid into your own bank account I do believe. I know some-one who did that. You would have to keep some very accurate accounts though if you did this.

As regards notifying a number of relatives, and I believe it is 4 (I did it earlier this year), I think the only exceptions to this are relatives who do not have the mental capacity to understand the document themselves. Additionally they will make an exception under certain circumstances however where it might cause distress but you would need to discuss this with the PGO.

You have to tell the PGO who you are notifying, so make sure you do it according to the rules, you don;t want to find yourself in hot water.

It's a minefield.

Carastro

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cheshire daughter