bad day

lucypaddydog

Jan 30, 2014
Today is a bad day, 8 years of caring for my husband with alzhiemers and today is a bad, not for him, but for me, I just need to scream and shout, I want a whole nights sleep, I want 24 hours of ME. Its the first time I have almost lost it with my husband, and I had to walk away.....

nae sporran

Oct 29, 2014
Bristol
Sorry lucypaddydog, I know that feeling too well. Would your husband accept respite care to give you some time to yourself either at home. It definitely helps to get a bit of sleep and time to think. If you are not self funding then ask social services for a care needs assessment and a carers assessment.

Reluctantcarer

Apr 14, 2019
Today is a bad day, 8 years of caring for my husband with alzhiemers and today is a bad, not for him, but for me, I just need to scream and shout, I want a whole nights sleep, I want 24 hours of ME. Its the first time I have almost lost it with my husband, and I had to walk away.....
Of course you want a whole nights sleep. Of course you want 24 hours just for yourself. I don’t know how you’ve reached 8 years without reaching breaking point. As @nae sporran says you need to have respite. I have no experience of social services helping but have been lucky that my sister has helped for a few weeks a year which has made such a difference. It won’t be possible now but I’m grateful for what I have had.
I know that carving out time for yourself can sometimes perversely seem like yet another problem but if you don’t you will collapse. We are all human
Hoping somehow you find an answer meanwhile all I can offer is sympathy

marionq

Apr 24, 2013
Scotland
I have been caring for seven years and I know that feeling. I do take 30 minutes out nowadays once I have settled him with tea and his paper just to go for a walk and a blether with anyone I meet. I couldn’t do that a few years ago when he was wandering. I find that two days at daycare is good for him and essential for me. In a couple of months I believe he may be able to go to daycare on a Saturday too which would be great.

Whatever and however you can get time without him - do it. Your sanity and well being depend on it.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pen7