Back support cushions?

Mo_N

Oct 29, 2009
South East Essex
When I visited mum at the care home today she couldn't get comfortable in her chair in the lounge or in the dining room :(

I think the problem is that all the furniture is "one size fits all" - but my mum is tiny.

She's complaining of back pain & I can see why. She slides forward so her lower back is unsupported.

Has anyone found a support cushion they found suitable for an elderly dementia sufferer?

I have a back problem myself & have tried the ones I have but nothing seems quite right. They are either too hard or too bulky so I don't know what to do next:confused:

The other problem we have is that all the chairs are leather/plastic ( for easy cleaning I suppose) but mum is either sticking to the seat or she's sliding off because her dresses are silky :(

Any suggestions gratefully received.

Mo
x

TinaT

Sep 27, 2006
Costa Blanca Spain
There are one or two tiny ladies in my husband's care home who are usually well propped up with cushions. If your mum is sitting for long periods of time it may be as well to ask about an air cushion for her bottom which is usually the place where pressure sores first arrive.

My husband also needs propping up with cushions during the day and he has a 'v'shaped pillow in bed at night to keep him in a good position.

xxTinaT

Mo_N

Oct 29, 2009
South East Essex
Thanks for your reply Tina. I'll ask about the air cushion when I see the care home manager on Monday. Do you use ordinary cushions to prop up your husband during the day? The ones at mum's care home seem either very fat or very thin.

Mind you, I don't think anything I tried would have been right for mum today.:(

Mo
x

FifiMo

Feb 10, 2010
Wiltshire
One lady in my mum's care home has like a quilted throw that sort of cocoons her in her chair and she looks really comfortable as it can be packed around her, if that makes sense. My mother has one of those faux fur throws over her chair and she likes it because she too gets back pain from sitting for long periods. She often sits ON the throw too as it is nice and soft and moulds round her bum.

On a more formal note, you can get memory foam cushions but despite how they are described the one I have at home is like a brick and doesn't mould very easily no matter how hard I try. Maybe they come in different degrees of softness, I'm not sure.

Fiona

Mo_N

Oct 29, 2009
South East Essex
I've had the same experience with memory foam pillows Fiona. Found it far too firm for comfort:(

The idea of a quilt or throw over the chair might work for mum. It would certainly stop her legs sticking to the leather:)

I'll let you know what mum thinks after I've seen her tomorrow;)

Mo
x

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
limenlemon