B12 dosage

Penny princess

May 9, 2018
Hi, I have just joined this forum because my Dad has Alzheimers. Back in 2014 he had a B12 blood test which showed his level was really low 44 pg/ml, in response we loaded him with B12. Three months later when next jab was due blood test showed a level of 1500 pg/ml so GP didn’t want to agree the injection and delayed for another 6 months. By April 2014 his B12 level had dropped back to 156 pg/ml and we have since only been allowed a three monthly injection, although his behaviour becomes worse at two months. As a retired nurse I have tried on numerous occasions to argue that the loading was undermined by the delay of regular injections but I am being told that three monthly is the protocol. Has anyone experienced similar from their GPs, or noticed a decline in the person they are caring for regarding B12? Thanks

totallyconfused

Apr 18, 2016
Hi, I have just joined this forum because my Dad has Alzheimers. Back in 2014 he had a B12 blood test which showed his level was really low 44 pg/ml, in response we loaded him with B12. Three months later when next jab was due blood test showed a level of 1500 pg/ml so GP didn’t want to agree the injection and delayed for another 6 months. By April 2014 his B12 level had dropped back to 156 pg/ml and we have since only been allowed a three monthly injection, although his behaviour becomes worse at two months. As a retired nurse I have tried on numerous occasions to argue that the loading was undermined by the delay of regular injections but I am being told that three monthly is the protocol. Has anyone experienced similar from their GPs, or noticed a decline in the person they are caring for regarding B12? Thanks

My mother was just started on this last Friday. Once a month for three months and then two more injections three months apart if needed. Shes been very tired, emotional, appetite isn't as good. No idea of her numbers and how low she was though or whether this is a cause of recent health worries.

Canadian Joanne

Apr 8, 2005
Toronto, Canada
I have lower levels of B12, but just enough to tire me a bit. I take an OTC supplement, which my doctor recommended. Would that not be possible in between injections?

Batsue

Nov 4, 2014
Scotland
My mum is on B12 jabs every 3 month, there does not appear to be any change in her when the injection is due.

Kevinl

Aug 24, 2013
Salford
Buy some B12 tablets from the supermarket or the chemist and give them orally yourself.
I don't believe I'm deficient in any vitamins, iron, zinc or any of the rest but I take a daily dose every 2 -3 days just to make sure, it cost pennies and can't do any harm but it might help.
If you read all the articles about deficiencies in vitamins and minerals then it's quite possible I'm missing out on something be it vitamin D in winter due to the lack of sunlight or Iodine because I don't eat much fish, which means I might not be getting my Omega 3,6 and 9 too.
Tablets aren't a replacement for a good diet but if you are missing out they're a useful top up.
K

nellbelles

Volunteer Host
Nov 6, 2008
leicester
I’m on three monthly b12 injections the standard time scale, the problem for B12 is that it is poorly absorbed orally for many people, the main reason for the injections!

Penny princess

May 9, 2018
Buy some B12 tablets from the supermarket or the chemist and give them orally yourself.
I don't believe I'm deficient in any vitamins, iron, zinc or any of the rest but I take a daily dose every 2 -3 days just to make sure, it cost pennies and can't do any harm but it might help.
If you read all the articles about deficiencies in vitamins and minerals then it's quite possible I'm missing out on something be it vitamin D in winter due to the lack of sunlight or Iodine because I don't eat much fish, which means I might not be getting my Omega 3,6 and 9 too.
Tablets aren't a replacement for a good diet but if you are missing out they're a useful top up.
K
Unfortunately we are already supplementing, with the GPs approval, but his level in the last three months has gone down lower than previous blood test. He obviously can’t process the vitamin orally hence the need for the injections, back to the drawing board! Thanks

Penny princess

May 9, 2018
My mother was just started on this last Friday. Once a month for three months and then two more injections three months apart if needed. Shes been very tired, emotional, appetite isn't as good. No idea of her numbers and how low she was though or whether this is a cause of recent health worries.
I hope the injections help your Mother, thanks for your input.

Saffie

Mar 26, 2011
Near Southampton
My daughter cannot absorb vitamins orally due to suffering from Crohn’s disease. She has B12 injections every 3 months and if she has to leave it any longer she is very tired and her body aches more - she has Rheumatoid arthritis linked to the Crohn’s too. Her mental capacity is not affected in any way.

Last edited:

Penny princess

May 9, 2018
My daughter can it absorb vitamins orally due to suffering from Crohn’s disease. She has B12 injections every 3 months and if she has to leave it any longer she is very tired and her body aches more - she has Rheumatoid arthritis linked to the Crohn’s too. Her mental capacity is not affected in any way.
B12 is important for so many symptoms. Thank you for your input.

Tricot

Jun 20, 2017
France
I'm so sorry to read of the way your Dad has been treated. No personal experience but have done so much research into B12 while waiting for a diagnosis so hope this will help. Your dad's B12 levels have been low enough to cause neurological symptoms and there's no way he should have been left 3 months between injections. It seems some GPs are woefully ignorant about B12 deficiency. Please look at this website:

http://www.b12deficiency.info/b12-treatment/

There is also an excellent forum for B12 (pernicious anaemia) where very experienced people can guide you on the best way to get your Dad the treatment he needs:

https://healthunlocked.com/pasoc/posts/132855197/b12-deficiency

Good luck.

PAUL GAGIE

Mar 18, 2024
My mam has Alzheimers and has 12 weekly injections of vitamin B12, plus a daily tablet of vitamin B12 as part of her tea-time medication. I've just read a report online stating that, in the USA at least, that vitamin B12 deficiency can lead to symptoms such as confusion and delirium which my mam currently has. Bearing this in mind and the fact that her nightly donepezil doesn't seem to have much effect, should I give her more than the usual tablet of Vitamin B12 per day, i.e. 2 tablets daily instead of 2?

My Mum's Daughter

Feb 8, 2020
@PAUL GAGIE has your Mum been tested in ensure that she can absorb B12 orally? If she can't then it's a waste of time giving her tablets.
B12 tablets come in various strengths so I'd check with the GP before increasing.

Banjomansmate

Jan 13, 2019
Dorset
As with the earlier posts on this subject, I have to have the B12 injection because my body cannot absorb it. After a few years the 3monthly regime left me “running down” before the next injection so I asked my GP if I could have it more often and have had it every two months for a while. I do feel now that my cognitive abilities drop a bit towards the end of that period and I feel very tired so I am waiting on a consultation to discuss it with my new GP and hope that she agrees to, maybe every six weeks. I expect a new blood test will be needed first.

SeaSwallow

Volunteer Moderator
Oct 28, 2019
Hello @PAUL GAGIE this is something that we really cannot advise you on as it is a medical issue. I would suggest that you contact your mum’s GP for advice.