Attendance allowance

Lilian&Dave

Dec 4, 2012
Cheltenham, Gloucestershire
Well I have just notified DWP my husband was in hospital and will go on into a care home, said he had been there since 19 June he said there would be an overpayment of his AA which would have to be repaid. I said he has Alzheimer's and he then said as my husband would not able to notify them because of his condition they would not be claiming the overpayment. What a change, I wonder if the same will apply to his State pension? I am almost afraid to ring as I still have to live and only get the married woman's pension based on my husband contributions

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
His state pension is payable whether he's in hospital or not, which is not normally the case with AA, so you were lucky to get that overpayment ignored.

However, depending on whether or not he is self-funded his AA may be permanently stopped (if he isn't self funded) and also, if he isn't self-funded his state pension will be expected to offset part of the care home fees. If that happens, you will get 50% of any occupational pensions, plus you can get pension credit to bring you up to the minimum weekly income level of £148.35

https://www.gov.uk/pension-credit/overview

Last edited:

loveahug

Nov 28, 2012
Moved to Leicester
Oh Lilian what a worrying time for you, my sincerest sympathies.

As to the practicalities, if you have no other income or savings you will probably qualify for pension credit and, if you do not already receive a council tax reduction, that should be available to you also.

Best wishes x