At last a professional who understands

gene genie

Apr 26, 2017
We all know how hard caring for our loved ones is,be that in Thier home,living with them or in a care/nursing home.
What often makes it so much harder is when doctors/nurses/ care assistants /social workers etc make life difficult by being unable or unwilling to understand or God forbid help in any way.
Well just for once I want to praise the hospital social worker assigned to my mum,he is fantastic so empathetic he listens doesn't make me feel stupid or as if I'm a nuisance,he has gone the extra mile in every way and I feel so much better since meeting him,I just wish he was available to every carer on t.p.

nae sporran

Oct 29, 2014
Bristol
People like that are indeed a rare and precious thing. I'm pleased you found some help and support in hard times Gene. :)

Jo Sutton

Jul 8, 2016
Surrey
You're right @gene genie. We don't praise the good ones often enough.

I'm lucky to have met some fantastic people along the way. Especially the staff on the dedicated dementia ward at our local hospital, who were so compassionate, caring and endlessly patient. The ward was well resourced, too, so praise to the hospital.

Social workers have been helpful, and doctors and nurses have gone the extra mile and bent the rules on a number of occasions. Yes, I've met some nightmare people, and this is a great place to vent our frustration with them, but overall it's been more than 50% positive and we don't tend to say that.

So a big THANKYOU to all those out there who 'get it'.

Hugs

Jo xx

marionq

Apr 24, 2013
Scotland
Ive been lucky in that most of the people I have dealt with from the start have been excellent. As well as being a sole carer for my husband I have certain responsibilities for my SIL who is profoundly deaf and cannot speak and has little communication although she is not mentally backward - yet.

On Monday the three of us had to go down to the bank to sort out some of her affairs and the young man who dealt with us could not have been more helpful. What a relief! On a previous visit it was a very uptight young woman in her twenties who adopted a hostile attitude immediately. Faced with me as spokesperson for two people in their eighties, one with dementia and the other totally deaf she was out of her depth.

After a very difficult experience I wrote to the Head Office with a copy to the branch, naming the woman and detailing what had happened. I got an apology and SIL got £25 compensation in her account.

Life is complicated when dealing with the public and this needs to be a big part of training.

Kikki21

Feb 27, 2016
East Midlands
I’ve had nightmare dealings with some people but one of them did end up compensating me because they acknowledged it was their mess up.
On the other hand, my mum’s social worker tried to defend her best interests the other day even though he got shouted down by the CHC assessor! So well done to him!