Asking to go home

Juliet1004

Jan 10, 2022
My dad has started to tell my mum he wants to go home every day ( to his childhood home). My mum is getting really stressed out as she doesn't know the best way around the situation and his moods are changing too. My dad has always been mild mannered but we have noticed he is quite abrupt and quite determined to go home. My mum is ringing most days saying she can't cope because she doesn't know how to stop it so we have been bringing him to our house for a cup of tea but hes still saying he wants to go home. I know this seems to be a common issue but My mum seems to be at her wits end and even though we are here for her I just don't think its enough. Any advise would be well appreciated.

Sarasa

Volunteer Host
Apr 13, 2018
Nottinghamshire
This is a really tricky one. The best thing is to tell your dad yes of course he can go home, but not today because the car hasn't enough petrol, the weather is awful, there is a good programme on TV he won't want to miss etc etc. If your dad thinks his parents will be there, assuring him they are fine, but you think they are on holiday or some other excuse might help. It won't stop him asking but it might make it a bit easier to cope with.
However it sounds as though your mum is heading for carer burnout, so it might be a good idea to assure her that getting some help with your dad will be a good idea. I don't know if the link below will be useful.
I'm sure others will be along soon with their ideas.

Pacucho

I am afraid this happened to me when I cared for my late mum, and I have to say it was a nightmare.
What helped me in the end as Sarasa has already explained is finding other carers to talk to who would understand. Just having a break a couple of hours a week to talk about what I was going through was a lifeline. But I had to be persuaded to seek this help.
Hope this helps,
paco