Asked to not go back to an event

kathryn3010

Aug 9, 2022
My mum loves music - I found a concert in a local church my mum talked a bit - they have asked us to not come back or come back to big concerts as we were disturbing others

not sure how I feel about it other than upset and disappointed

how should i respond

jennifer1967

Mar 15, 2020
Southampton
My mum loves music - I found a concert in a local church my mum talked a bit - they have asked us to not come back or come back to big concerts as we were disturbing others

not sure how I feel about it other than upset and disappointed

how should i respond
i would be offended. yes, others are entitled to listen and enjoy it but so is your mum. you would think in a church, they would be more understanding.

Sarasa

Volunteer Host
Apr 13, 2018
Nottinghamshire
Hi @kathryn3010, and welcome to Dementia Talking Point.
I'm sorry that such an upsetting event brought you here. How well do you know the people that organise the concerts? Could you explain about your mum and that she doesn't mean to disturb others. I'd certainly feel upset too if it happened to me, and sorry that people can't be more understanding.
I typed dementia-friendly concerts into Google and there do seem to be quite a few around. Maybe suggest to whoever complained that they consider having one as part of their programme.

northumbrian_k

Volunteer Host
Mar 2, 2017
Newcastle
Hi @kathryn3010 and welcome to Dementia Talking Point our supportive and friendly community. I am sorry to hear of your experience, which does not sound very welcoming. Unfortunately, as dementia progresses, social niceties are lost and behaviour that seems inappropriate to others results.

I can see why you are upset and disappointed but I don't think that there is any suitable response.

People can be intolerant, especially if they think their own enjoyment is at risk. But don't let that put you off trying again, perhaps at a different venue. You may need to be prepared to leave early if necessary but it may be worth it for your mum's enjoyment.

Last edited:

kathryn3010

Aug 9, 2022
Thanks I have rung the church and left a message with a compromise that they save a place near the door and if mum gets vocal - it is always positive ie he plays well or when someone's mobile went off - they I can take her out quickly.
I have also found some dementia friendly events that we will be going to - I was just very surprised at the lack of empathy and Christian charity