As good as it gets

northumbrian_k

Volunteer Host
Mar 2, 2017
Newcastle
Our stopover at Chester and holiday at Cardiff goes off reasonably well, although my wife does not seem to know where she is for much of the time. Various things upset her - the wind, walking the dog too far or not enough, people in the hotel, people we meet - but she is pleasant to other people and seems to enjoy our long walks and meals out. She remains obsessed with the idea that I will be ‘going out' at night without her, despite all evidence to the contrary says that we have not explored enough of the city and on the way home accuses me of cutting the holiday short. Still, whilst we are away I do find opportunities to relax a little bit and the holiday is probably about as good as it gets at this stage.

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Well done! I remember reaching the stage where I began to wonder who the holiday was for! You're doing exactly as I used to do. I still felt that our times away together were so important until almost the end of Bill's time with dementia.

Good luck for any future ventures.:)

marionq

Apr 24, 2013
Scotland
Oh crumbs NK it's not easy is it? You seem to be a glass half full person and that is to be congratulated. Accentuate the positive. It's all you can do.

Good wishes.

oilovlam

Aug 2, 2015
South East
Yes, enjoy the little moments. The calm before the storm, when the sun is shining on your face and you can say to yourself...life is OK. It helps to recharge your batteries.:D

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Hello northumbrian_k

I`m glad its all going well.

We used to have holidays although in some respects they were `half holidays`, because I was usually anxious and my husband wandered, but they were well worth that level of anxiety. On the whole they were enjoyable.

We had to stop when my husband began to have panic attacks when it came to travelling so that was my cut off point.

Enjoy your holidays for as long as you can.