Article on Benefits

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
Wasn't sure where to put this, that would be most useful, but probably here in Legal & Financial. Just to mention that this week's Woman's Weekly magazine dated 20th June (which was actually on sale since about last Tuesday) has a useful article on Benefits.
It rather shockingly says that over£16billion in benefits goes unclaimed each year, and that 40% of people entitled to Pension Credit don't claim it.

Kevinl

Aug 24, 2013
Salford
What surprises me most isn't that 40% of people don't claim Pension Credit, it's that the Woman's Weekly still exists:D
Do they still have meal suggestions for Wotton pie and powered egg?
K

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
What surprises me most isn't that 40% of people don't claim Pension Credit, it's that the Woman's Weekly still exists:D
Do they still have meal suggestions for Wotton pie and powered egg?
K

Much modernization has taken place!

cragmaid

Oct 18, 2010
North East England
Much modernization has taken place!
I didn't care much for the recent price rise though!!

Kevin... this is a very useful magazine...... given the current rate of inflation and the chronically poor interest rates, we'll all be glad of economical recipes and make-do-and-mend tips soon!!:rolleyes::rolleyes::D:D:D

paddiwak

Dec 14, 2015
Pension Credit

Wasn't sure where to put this, that would be most useful, but probably here in Legal & Financial. Just to mention that this week's Woman's Weekly magazine dated 20th June (which was actually on sale since about last Tuesday) has a useful article on Benefits.
It rather shockingly says that over£16billion in benefits goes unclaimed each year, and that 40% of people entitled to Pension Credit don't claim it.

I've not needed to be on Talking Point for a while as I am slowly trying to get some sort of life back since my OH went into permanent care in a NH. I am very grateful that he has settled straight away and is more content there than he was at home. I certainly could not have coped during the very distressing months I had without the help and support of everyone on Talking Point.

I am in the process of sorting out my financial affairs with regards to David being a permanent resident. I now know how much I have to pay each week towards his costs. With the letter from the Council came another stating that I may now have an entitlement to pension credit. Having looked at the two forms that came with the letter I'm not surprised that a lot of people do not apply for this entitlement as the form is so convoluted and they require so much information that I'm sure some people think it's not worth the hassle. I'm starting to think along those lines as the second form has to be completed if there are savings over £10,000. I do have savings over that amount as my husband and I put money into accounts in my name when he was diagnosed so that should any major bills arise I would have the necessary funds to deal with it. I also feel that this is our private business and why should anyone else have to know about it.

I noticed that there is a government website I can go on to check Pension Credit rates so I shall have a look at that before I make any final decisions.

Thank you again to everyone, your continued support is invaluable.

cragmaid

Oct 18, 2010
North East England
Pension Credit is paid to persons whose pension income is less than the amount stated that we need to live on.
My late Mum had a reduced Pension of just under £100 at the time she qualified. This was her only income. Full Pension was about £140 per week.
She had savings of over £10,000.
She was awarded Pensions Credit, minus an amount of about £1 per £250 savings over the £10,000 limit( from a bad memory) to bring her up to the living amount.

Now I'm sure the figures will have changed, but she was amazed when I told her she would qualifiy and delighted when she got a backdated payment from date of application.

This was her right.

nita

Dec 30, 2011
Essex
There is a Pension Credit calculator on the website where you can put in your details and it will work out whether you are entitled to it or not. As well as the Guarantee Credit, there is also a Pension Credit Savings Credit which my late mother received. However it states that "most people who reached State Pension age on or after 6 April 2016 won’t be eligible for Savings Credit". This is granted if you have some savings or your income is higher than the basic state pension. My mother had a small private pension from her previous employer but she was still below the threshold.

By the way, if you do get either benefit, it's best to keep records of savings and income in the coming years. My mother received it in 2003 and the DWP is now asking me to go back over the years to explain why her stated savings at probate (she passed away last Christmas) are more than when she applied! The answer is that she received Attendance Allowance (not means tested) and hence, with her lessening needs, savings built up, not by a huge amount, I hasten to add. They still want me to trace the increase over the years and fortunately I have most of the records; others I am having to obtain from banks.

https://www.gov.uk/pension-credit-calculator