Art and people with memory lose or dementia

KBArts

Thank you all so much for your kind comments. He does love his art and there are times that he paints over a 'finished' canvas on more than one occasion, but I just let him do what he feels comfortable with. Sometimes they look great, other times not so good.

It's the enjoyment and the therapy that he gains from this that is important.

I wonder if there are other hobbies that sufferers of dementia still find enjoyable, even if they feel they are not at the same standard? Does the lack of concentration mean an end to a loved past time? I suppose we just need to encourage everything that they enjoy for as long as possible.

Izzy, I hope Bill gets a lot of enjoyment from the Art classes. Anything to help stimulate his mind and add to his enjoyment. x

zoob

Sep 13, 2012
I hope your husband keeps painting forever! Fantastic! My mum loves singing, we've always got music playing here....Tell your husband he has a new fan! Man, some of those paintings......genius!

DeboA

Mar 9, 2012
Ruislip
Art as Therapy.

I lost my mind a bit after my Mum died but I found my soul. I have been doing art(collage) as therapy. Some people can understand it some can't! I wish I knew how to put photos on I could show you what I have done.

Sue J

Dec 9, 2009
I lost my mind a bit after my Mum died but I found my soul. I have been doing art(collage) as therapy. Some people can understand it some can't! I wish I knew how to put photos on I could show you what I have done.

Would love to see them. There is a thread somewhere with instructions about putting photos on.

KBArts

I hope your husband keeps painting forever! Fantastic! My mum loves singing, we've always got music playing here....Tell your husband he has a new fan! Man, some of those paintings......genius!

Thanks Zoob, I will let him know he has a new fan...! :)

Glad to hear your home is filled with music - another great therapy for all of us.