Aromatherapy

pcjjk

Oct 15, 2021
Good afternoon : I have read somewhere that Aromatherapy can be beneficial for a loved one who seems to sleep all day but finds it hard to stay in bed during the night. Has anyone else found that aromatherapy helped and if so what was the essential oil that you found useful / worked?

We currently have a simple reed diffuser in the bedroom with lavender as the essential oil fragrance but I was wondering if there is something better? I have read that the mains powered / battery aromatherapy units are better than the reed diffusers.

Am I doing too much reading? Just trying to make life easier for everyone

Thank you to anyone who responds and to everyone - Take care and Stay safe.

AbbyGee

Nov 26, 2018
Portsmouth, South Coast
I'm a great fan of Aromatherapy and have a variety of essential oils that I use according to need. Lavender is fine in small doses but too much has the opposite effect and acts as a stimulant as I found out after spilling some pillow spray - think Meercat on speed. o_Oo_Oo_O

Because of the large room sizes here I found the reed diffusers inefficient. Also, as they're constantly 'on', as it were, there's no way of stopping them releasing their smell.

Ylang Ylang can act as a sedative and Roman Chamomile helps to promote sleep but I won't recommend anything specific as I'm not a qualified Aromatherapist.

As it's only for my use now I bought a plug in diffuser with a timer that stops when the carrier water is used up. (I use bottled water as I live in a hard water area. ) The diffuser does make a small noise when running but apart from that it seems to work fine. I need to take care which way the outlet is pointing as it can build up a film of condensation on nearby surfaces. I don't think it's recommended to leave them running all night.

Take a look online at the various oils and their recommended uses - I'm sure you'll find something worth trying. You may find something works for you personally to help relax and relieve tension too.

On a side note - I transported myself back to long lost youth with a blend of Sandalwood and Patchouli. Ahhh, bliss.

pcjjk

Oct 15, 2021
I'm a great fan of Aromatherapy and have a variety of essential oils that I use according to need. Lavender is fine in small doses but too much has the opposite effect and acts as a stimulant as I found out after spilling some pillow spray - think Meercat on speed. o_Oo_Oo_O

Because of the large room sizes here I found the reed diffusers inefficient. Also, as they're constantly 'on', as it were, there's no way of stopping them releasing their smell.

Ylang Ylang can act as a sedative and Roman Chamomile helps to promote sleep but I won't recommend anything specific as I'm not a qualified Aromatherapist.

As it's only for my use now I bought a plug in diffuser with a timer that stops when the carrier water is used up. (I use bottled water as I live in a hard water area. ) The diffuser does make a small noise when running but apart from that it seems to work fine. I need to take care which way the outlet is pointing as it can build up a film of condensation on nearby surfaces. I don't think it's recommended to leave them running all night.

Take a look online at the various oils and their recommended uses - I'm sure you'll find something worth trying. You may find something works for you personally to help relax and relieve tension too.

On a side note - I transported myself back to long lost youth with a blend of Sandalwood and Patchouli. Ahhh, bliss.
Thank you for your kind response. i transport myself back with 12yr old Malt Whisky but probably not good for my wife……

Sarasa

Volunteer Host
Apr 13, 2018
Nottinghamshire
Sandalwood and Patchouli would take me right back to Notting Hill in 1969. Enjoy the memories @AbbyGee.
I think things like massage and aromatherapy might help ease anxiety but not sure how good they will be for encouraging sleep. It sounds as though your loved ones day and night have switched and I'm not quite sure what will help reset that, but I'm sure those that do will be along shortly.

pcjjk

Oct 15, 2021
Sandalwood and Patchouli would take me right back to Notting Hill in 1969. Enjoy the memories @AbbyGee.
I think things like massage and aromatherapy might help ease anxiety but not sure how good they will be for encouraging sleep. It sounds as though your loved ones day and night have switched and I'm not quite sure what will help reset that, but I'm sure those that do will be along shortly.
💕

AbbyGee

Nov 26, 2018
Portsmouth, South Coast
My loved one went for his long sleep on 5th December 2022 so it's just lil ol' me now. 💔
As for massage - yes. When he'd allow me to do a pedicure and / or manicure session I'd sneak in a foot or hand and arm massage. The foot massage was his favourite, I think.
I got the foot massage tips online but learned the hand and arm technique from a qualified tutor. I also learned a bit of light Indian head massage and would give him a short session of that after trimming his hair and face fungus.
It felt very special when he'd relax enough to allow me to do a wee bit of pamper on his poor old claws, paws and noggin. Of course, music played throughout (thank you, Andre Rieu!) and I'd chat away about everything and nothing which usually elicited some sort of response, even if it wasn't particularly relevant.
Small gains, and an hour or so of what could have passed for normality. 👍

windyhill

Dec 9, 2023
As a previous supplier of essential oils, ( I have long since retired) I had a lot of success with aromatherapy roll-ons. These are small 10 ml bottles which have a roll on ball and you roll it onto the skin. It is applied to the pulse points of the body - neck, forehead, wrists, and under the nostrils, this last application for colds using eucalyptus. The roll-ons can be applied by the person and only that person gets the benefit of the vapours whereas a diffuser or an aromatherapy burner diffuses aromas to everyone in the room and can be annoying at times.
You can choose whichever essential oil you want made into a roll-on. Lavender was by far the most popular but there was also relaxing and sleep easy roll-ons. I never made any claims about their efficacy but many customers used to use them regularly.
I don't want to advertise any company on this forum on this site but I can reply personally to you.
By the way I have not tried them yet on my wife (3 years dementia) but in future desperate moments I have no doubt I will.

pcjjk

Oct 15, 2021
As a previous supplier of essential oils, ( I have long since retired) I had a lot of success with aromatherapy roll-ons. These are small 10 ml bottles which have a roll on ball and you roll it onto the skin. It is applied to the pulse points of the body - neck, forehead, wrists, and under the nostrils, this last application for colds using eucalyptus. The roll-ons can be applied by the person and only that person gets the benefit of the vapours whereas a diffuser or an aromatherapy burner diffuses aromas to everyone in the room and can be annoying at times.
You can choose whichever essential oil you want made into a roll-on. Lavender was by far the most popular but there was also relaxing and sleep easy roll-ons. I never made any claims about their efficacy but many customers used to use them regularly.
I don't want to advertise any company on this forum on this site but I can reply personally to you.
By the way I have not tried them yet on my wife (3 years dementia) but in future desperate moments I have no doubt I will.
I am very happy to correspond off forum but not sure how I do this?

My wife was diagnosed three years ago and life is still manageable but stressful especially when she won’t settle for sleep because she has slept alot thru the day. She isn’t eating properly now and living on liquid foods via a Ninja Bullet.

Kevinl

Aug 24, 2013
Salford
Serious question, but I have and for years had effectively no sense of smell. Would aroma therapy work for me, as I say serious question.
Massage I can understand all for it but the aroma bit relates to smell I understand.
People can look at me and see I wear glasses so poor vision, they could see my wife's hearing aids and understand poor hearing, but smell and taste are under the radar so as to speak, no visible clues.
Only my own experience as a carer but the aroma bit suggests you still have a sense of smell, 100% with you on the massage. K

windyhill

Dec 9, 2023
I am very happy to correspond off forum but not sure how I do this?

My wife was diagnosed three years ago and life is still manageable but stressful especially when she won’t settle for sleep because she has slept alot thru the day. She isn’t eating properly now and living on liquid foods via a Ninja Bullet.
I have communicated privately.

AbbyGee

Nov 26, 2018
Portsmouth, South Coast
Serious question, but I have and for years had effectively no sense of smell. Would aroma therapy work for me, as I say serious question.
Smells / scents still find their way into the brain even if you have anosmia. You may not get the same 'Ahhhh' moment but your body can benefit. This is assuming your olfactory bits haven't been totally wiped out.
Bit difficult to explain - Mr Google can do a far better job than can I.