Aricept

jknight

Oct 23, 2015
Hampshire
Hello all,

Can anyone tell me how long it takes for Aricept to start working? Mum has been on a half dose for two weeks. Another two weeks and she goes up to the maximum dose. The consultant led me to believe I would see a difference within days. That hasn't happened (I did think it sounded optimistic, but hey, that's just me!!)

Jenny x

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
Unfortunately, the effects of Aricept/Donepezil will only ever be moderate and might only improve cognition or behaviour a little. The only difference my OH reported was that he "felt more positive". Apart from that I have no idea what it helped, but 5 years on he's still on it, though he's massively declined. I am afraid it's a progressive disease and no medication can help with that.

chris53

Nov 9, 2009
London
Hi Jenny, for some Aricept may seem to "kick' in after a week or so, hopefully without many or any side effects, my mum was put on 5mg for 2 months then it was increased to 10mg, this was in November 2011:rolleyes: she is still taking it..fingers crossed it will make a difference for your mum, i did notice that she seemed less agitated after a couple of weeks,but there again I was constantly watching out for changes:p I expect I was expecting massive changes within days.
Fingers crossed for you
Chris

Aisling

Dec 5, 2015
Ireland
Hello all,

Can anyone tell me how long it takes for Aricept to start working? Mum has been on a half dose for two weeks. Another two weeks and she goes up to the maximum dose. The consultant led me to believe I would see a difference within days. That hasn't happened (I did think it sounded optimistic, but hey, that's just me!!)

Jenny x

My OH was on aricept years ago and I remember it certainly stabilised his condition for quite a long time. My understanding is that it keeps the Alzheimers on a plateau. We spent a week in Spain in 2011 and both of us enjoyed ourselves.

Hope all goes well for your Mum.

Aisling (Ireland)

jknight

Oct 23, 2015
Hampshire
Thanks all! Mum seems to have deteriorated a little despite Aricept. She is still living well, make up, clean clothes (although always the same skirt & cardie) clean house etc. Short term memory is rubbish (she can order a meal but forget what she has ordered by the time she sits down)

jknight

Oct 23, 2015
Hampshire
Hi Jenny, for some Aricept may seem to "kick' in after a week or so, hopefully without many or any side effects, my mum was put on 5mg for 2 months then it was increased to 10mg, this was in November 2011:rolleyes: she is still taking it..fingers crossed it will make a difference for your mum, i did notice that she seemed less agitated after a couple of weeks,but there again I was constantly watching out for changes:p I expect I was expecting massive changes within days.
Fingers crossed for you
Chris
Thanks, Chris! This makes me feel more hopeful!