Aricept

jeffrep

All,
mother has recently been diagnosed & has been prescribed 5m of the above for starters.
I am not expecting miracles but wonder how long any effect of the drug might take to show up in her memory loss in particular?
Thanks,
Paul

chris53

Hello Paul and a warm welcome to Talking Point, so sorry you have need for us, but much support, understanding and smiles here:) am so pleased they are trying your mum on Aricept, sadly it does not work for everyone, but if mum does tolerate this, it can help, my mum was given this and it did take a couple of months to kick in...this was in November 2011:rolleyes: there are many medications that may help if Aricept is not suitable, so I have my fingers crossed for you.
Take care and let us know how things are going and if this medication helps your mum
Best wishes
Chris x

Kevinl

but wonder how long any effect of the drug might take to show up in her memory loss in particular?
Thanks,
Paul

Hi Paul
To address the specific bit above Aricept (AKA Donepezil) will only show up in time (I think). The rate of decline my wife was experiencing, had it continued would mean by now she would been pretty much a zombie without Aricept (she takes 10mg it in conjunction with Citlopram a mild anti depressant). In the over 3 years she's been taking it the results of her tests show hardly any decline, you won't see an improvement as such just a slowing of the process, you never get back the bits that have gone but every bit you can keep is worth holding on to.
K