Are you living with dementia and another condition?

Status
Not open for further replies.

HarrietD

Staff Member
Staff member
Apr 29, 2014
London
Hi everyone,

We've had the below message from Oliver, who works in our Public Affairs and Campaigning team.

If you are living with dementia alongside another long-term health condition and you'd like to share your experience, please do get in touch with him.

Harriet

Hello,

My name is Oliver and I work for Alzheimer’s Society. Part of my job is to help run the All-Party Parliamentary Group (APPG) on Dementia.

The APPG on Dementia is a group of MPs and Peers that meet regularly in Parliament to discuss issues relating to dementia and changes to policy that could help.

As part of its work in 2015 the APPG will conduct an inquiry into people living with dementia alongside other health difficulties. 7 out of every 10 people living with dementia also have one or more conditions at the same time. This presents a unique set of challenges for patients, carers, and health and social care systems.

As part of the inquiry the APPG needs to hear from people living with dementia who have one or more other health conditions. We also want to hear from carers. I am including a list of sample questions below that will give you a sense of what we are looking for, but feel free to talk about anything you like.

If you have a story, experience or something you would like to tell the APPG, please contact me directly on appg@alzheimers.org.uk

Your help is greatly appreciated, and will hopefully lead to some change in how help people living with dementia and other health conditions at the same time.

Oliver

Sample questions

• Are you living with any other long-term condition (such as diabetes, high blood pressure, heart disease or depression)?
  • Are you able to manage your other condition? Why? / Why not?
  • What issues do you have with managing your condition?
  • How does this impact on your life? Is there anything you have had to stop doing that you would still like to do?
  • What support do you get?
  • Do doctors and other medical professionals understand that you have dementia?
  • What would help you manage your condition better?
  • Is there anything you would change which would make life easier?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Micmomgram 5