Appt with Solicitor

Silver Lining

Nov 20, 2013
We too are making arrangements for the future, my Husband is "anti everything"
at the moment although sees the need for it, His biggest worry at the moment is if they take his driving licence away.

We are about to make new Wills and alter our Land Registry as " Tenants in Common" and arrange LPA for Financial and Welfare.

What I didn't realise was "should I do this for myself also" which doubles the cost.

Thoughts please.

Saffie

Mar 26, 2011
Near Southampton
It is cheaper to do certain things yourself. I am certainly arranging my LPA myself although I did go to a solicitor for the Tenants-in-Common and Wills. LPA can be done online and is certainly much cheaper than going through a solicitor which is not necessary.

Last edited:

Rheme

Nov 23, 2013
England
Hi,

As you are already altering the house deeds to tenants in common then it is double the cost for POA element only.

My parents did similar some time ago however did not get POA for welfare, only financial and property. During the past 12 months both have spent significant periods in hospital and in mum's case they have issued 4 DNAR's on her without consulting the family at the time. They consulted with the family after the event in the first two cases and the latter two didn't inform us at all we found out by accident. The latter one when they posted mum her DNAR to her in the care home.

In light of the way the NHS had treated mum, dad went to his solicitors to have a welfare POA drawn up on himself. It is too late for mum due to her mental health. Unfortunately dad passed away a week later.

I would have POA's done for both of you as this way you are protecting both of your best interests at a time when you can.

Waggy

Sep 9, 2012
Rotherham
Please be wary

Please take further advice before parting with your money re tenants in common. I have heard that some LA's are already viewing this as deliberate deprivation of assetts especially where one of the couple has already started to lose capacity. Unscrupulous solicitors will con you into believing that they can't touch half of the assetts, but this is not true, depending on the circumstances. Take advice from someone with more knowledge than me, but be very careful before parting with money which might be a complete waste of time.

FifiMo

Feb 10, 2010
Wiltshire
Silver lining,

I would, whilst all this is on your mind, make arrangements for yourself also. Particularly because your husband is already in a situation where he would not be able to fully comprehend and make decisions if something should happen to you. You'll then have peace of mind that you are properly provided for too.

Another thing to consider and make provision for in your husband's LPA is who would take over if something happened to you. Putting provision in there now will stop another application having to be made at a later date.

Fiona

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cheshire daughter