Appliance safety

Fran115

Feb 28, 2011
Hampshire, UK
Does anyone know where in the UK I can buy a 3 pin electrical plug safety lock? They are readily available in the USA but I can't find a UK supplier. Mum has Alzheimer's and her carers use the microwave to cook her meals but she tried to use it herself recently with dangerous consequences. We need to lock the plug so she can't use the appliance but the carers can.

grove

Aug 24, 2010
North Yorkshire
Hope This Helps

Hello Fran , Not sure at all what you mean am :confused: however when my Uncle was like your Mum ( needing help with Meals ) he had a special microwave with Child Proof door lock :) :) or how about going to a Baby & Toddler Shop & buying the plastic covers to put in the socket ( when the microwave is not in use ) Hope this helps :cool::D:D
These plastic covers are the Safety type :)

Best Wishes Love Grove x x x Am sure more Expert T P'ers will Post more advice soon !

grove

Aug 24, 2010
North Yorkshire
Shopping in UK

Hello Fran sorry do you not live in the UK ? if you do not then somebody in the UK wil have to buy the 3 Pin Safety Covers or you shop via web

Love Grove x

Katrine

Jan 20, 2011
England
Socket and switch covers

Yes you can buy them in the UK. There is one kind manufactured by Plug Lock where the switches are still visible so you can turn things on and off but not unplug (probably not useful for what you need). Another type is the 'Clippasafe socket protector' which can be used to cover a double light switch or socket. The cover clips on and is locked in place with a key. The best ones I can see are available in either single or double version with "simple childproof double clip mechanism to close and open the cover - no keys to fiddle with or lose" made by Socket Pro. That would allow the carers to switch the appliance on when needed and then switch it off again, provided they remember and that they can operate the childproof clip mechanism! As an example, here is a link to a supplier of a range of these covers: http://www.insight-direct.co.uk/DotNetShop/listsubgroup.aspx?Group=24&SubGroup=3

Last edited:

Jess26

Jan 5, 2011
Kent
sorry Fran don't mean to patronize but did you scroll down the page that I posted link for.

You should be able to lock the individual plug with this device. I did find the type that you posted but they seem to only be for 2 pin plugs

Hope you find what your looking for :)

Onlyme

Apr 5, 2010
UK
Jess26 does seem to have found a good product. I wish we had found it a few years ago.

Attachments

• plug 3a.jpg
    plug 3a.jpg
    12.5 KB · Views: 874

grove

Aug 24, 2010
North Yorkshire
Sorry Fran

Hello Fran , Sorry i was not much help ! ! , you learn some thing new every day do'nt you ? Have never seen or heard of these Safety Plug Boxes before ! !GOOD Idea & your Mum must be bright if she can take out the plastic covers ! ! Seriously tho do hope you find what your Mum needs to KEEP HER SAFE ! ! :)

Best Wishes Love Grove x x x x

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stephanie A