Apathy

jay6

Jun 25, 2023
So if Apathy is very common with vascular dementia. Would the PWD actually be bothered about moving into a care home?
If things no longer affect them other than getting someone to look after them. Would they really care who that person was?

Jale

Jul 9, 2018
Hi @jay6 , mum has vascular dementia so can only comment on what I've found with her. The move to hospital didn't seem to concern her, although she was moved from hospital to nursing home and we told her that she was being moved to another hospital, and we still call the carers nurses.

Before going into hospital she had carers 4 times a day and she hated them - some more than others - she never accepted them and she wasn't co-operative for them either. Mum would refuse to have a wash, eat or be helped to bed, she was a nightmare.

The strange thing is that in the home she likes some carers better than others, and sadly isn't quiet about letting them know, but she is sometimes more accepting of male carers than I ever thought she would be.

This illness sadly keeps carers on their toes, hopes this helps

jay6

Jun 25, 2023
Hi @jay6 , mum has vascular dementia so can only comment on what I've found with her. The move to hospital didn't seem to concern her, although she was moved from hospital to nursing home and we told her that she was being moved to another hospital, and we still call the carers nurses.

Before going into hospital she had carers 4 times a day and she hated them - some more than others - she never accepted them and she wasn't co-operative for them either. Mum would refuse to have a wash, eat or be helped to bed, she was a nightmare.

The strange thing is that in the home she likes some carers better than others, and sadly isn't quiet about letting them know, but she is sometimes more accepting of male carers than I ever thought she would be.

This illness sadly keeps carers on their toes, hopes this helps
Thanks for the reply Jale. I have thought about this a lot lately. My OH is always telling me I'm 'picking' on him, 'telling' him off etc. when I'm not. He can't ever back it up, and when he doesn't get his own way, I'm ******* this and ******** that. Doesn't matter how much I try to do or how much I help, it is seems it's never good enough. So I am thinking he might be better off in a care home away from me. If its all the apathy and dementia, then maybe he wouldn't care where he was, just as long as he can sit in a chair and do nothing. He'd still get help, washing done, meals cooked etc. It doesn't seem to bother him if I go out or stay in a different room as long as he has food.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
I'm afraid that this is typical frontal lobe dementia behaviour @jay6

Unless you would be self-funded it would be difficult to persuade SS that he is at risk and needs a care home permanently, but you could certainly ask for respite. OH is the same at home, although he is now less angry, and he loves going into respite because they dont expect anything from him, let him stay in his room all the time and do everything for him. 😏

jay6

Jun 25, 2023
I'm afraid that this is typical frontal lobe dementia behaviour @jay6

Unless you would be self-funded it would be difficult to persuade SS that he is at risk and needs a care home permanently, but you could certainly ask for respite. OH is the same at home, although he is now less angry, and he loves going into respite because they dont expect anything from him, let him stay in his room all the time and do everything for him. 😏
Yes I realise that canary, I was actually thinking of selling the property so he has his half to spend on care home and I would hopefully find something with my half.