Anyone else out there with this problem?

Little tern

Aug 17, 2018
hello , this is my first post. My husband has vascular dementia but the worst aspect is the fact that he has completely lost his mobility and is unable to weight bear and has to be hoisted. This means that his condition is doubly frustrating for him and quite a strain for me.I often have a wry smile when I read about people with dementia wandering off.....if only!
Is anyone else having to cope with this two sided problem?.
He has recently started to become very distressed and agitated in the afternoon which I imagine maybe “sundowning” I wonder if a daylight lamp like those used to help people with Seasonal Affective Disorder might help

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
hi @Little tern
you have a lot to contend with - I hope you have some support, some home care visits, to give you a break
I have wondered about that type of lamp - if they are not too expensive, would be worth a try

witts1973

Jun 20, 2018
Leamington Spa
hello , this is my first post. My husband has vascular dementia but the worst aspect is the fact that he has completely lost his mobility and is unable to weight bear and has to be hoisted. This means that his condition is doubly frustrating for him and quite a strain for me.I often have a wry smile when I read about people with dementia wandering off.....if only!
Is anyone else having to cope with this two sided problem?.
He has recently started to become very distressed and agitated in the afternoon which I imagine maybe “sundowning” I wonder if a daylight lamp like those used to help people with Seasonal Affective Disorder might help
Hi you can get an assessment from the LA to see if they can help you,have you got a hospital bed?That willl help they will provide one even if you are above the savings threshold and an OT will provide equipment that you may need,you can also look at care visits as it sounds as if you need help,I care for my mum but we have 4 visits during the day 1 is for a bed wash and pad change and the 3 further calls just for a pad change,this helped with a lot of the stress I was suffering after doing all the washing and toileting myself for 2 years

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
I doubt if a Seasonal Affective Disorder lamp would help.
My experience was that it was time of day not ambient light level that was the trigger, it could happen in bright sunshine in Greece.
However all cases are virtually unique.