Anyone else in same boat??

Oct 30, 2019
Hi everyone

I’m completely broken,Im just home from visiting my poor mum in a psychiatric ward, I’m 33 mum is 61 she’s registered blind, she lost her sight about 9 years ago through diabetes. Mum lived a pretty independent life after she lost her sight only barrier she had was going out on her own, she wouldn’t use a white cane cause she was too proud! About a year ago her behaviour changed and she couldn’t navigate her way around the house, she couldn’t find the stairs, toilet and she would get lost in rooms and couldn’t work out how to get out, this would cause massive anxiety attacks and eventually my dad had to stop work to look after her as he kept having to come home to calm her down. Fast forward to august 2019 And after many gp visits and loads of meltdowns mum gets a ct scan, she got that as she can’t fully complete the dementia memory test thing as she can’t see. We waited 7 weeks for the result of the ct to come back and in that time my mum ended up sectioned as her behaviour just became unmanageable I thought my dad was going to have a breakdown. When the ct scan eventually came back it showed a clinical picture of normal pressure hydrocephalus, I was told by the consultant that mum would get a lumber puncture then possibly a shunt fitted and if all was successful she would go back to her normal self! She got the lumber puncture about 4 weeks ago and considering how she had been I was surprised she tolerated it but she did! The neurologist had a chat with my dad during a consultation and said he was concerned about a couple of things and thought maybe there was something else going on so he wanted to do further testings, he said he believed the lumber puncture had no immediate improvement to her mobility so by that I assumed he wasn’t going to invest anymore time on that! I think there was an improvement though, especially in her walking and urinary incontinence which was really bad before the lumber puncture but had pretty much disappeared a couple of days after it. So fast forward again to today and we were due to get a dat scan, mum had a really bad morning she was very disoriented, upset and angry with everyone so I knew things weren’t going to go smoothly! She was fine getting the injection to put the dye in but after the 3 hour wait she was really tired and she couldn’t tolerate the scan so they had to stop after only 5 mins! She was meant to lie down for 30mins! My question to you guys is has anyone had the diagnosis of NPH first and then it’s been changed to dementia with Lewy body? (That is what they were looking for in the dat scan) can they diagnose that if she can’t tolerate the scan? This has been a complete rollercoaster for my family and there just doesn’t seem to be any end to it!
Sorry for the long post and if it’s a bit all over the place but it’s a really long story!

karaokePete

Jul 23, 2017
N Ireland
Hello and welcome to the forum @Desperatelyseekinganswers.

It's quite late now so you may not get answers until tomorrow.

If you want to talk it through with anyone the experts on the help line can be good, details as follows

National Dementia Helpline
0300 222 11 22
Our helpline advisers are here for you.
Helpline opening hours:
Monday to Wednesday 9am – 8pm
Thursday and Friday 9am – 5pm
Saturday and Sunday 10am – 4pm

Live on-line advice is also available in the UK and you can see the details of that if you follow this link https://www.alzheimers.org.uk/get-support/national-dementia-helpline/live-online-advice

Lirene

Sep 15, 2019
It is late but some if us are still awake, and I am so very sorry to hear about your mum and the place where she is.
You are never really alone in this world there is always someone near.
My prayers are for your mum, dad, you and your family

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
When the ct scan eventually came back it showed a clinical picture of normal pressure hydrocephalus, I was told by the consultant that mum would get a lumber puncture then possibly a shunt fitted and if all was successful she would go back to her normal self!

This happened to my father although there was probably a different cause. He had a fall and banged his head. The people with him , my mother and their friends, heard the crack but my father refused to seek treatment.

After a while his speech became slurred and then he was diagnosed in 1968 with what was called in those days `fluid on the brain`.

He had a stent fitted but sadly it wasn`t effective enough.

This was over 50 years ago and I`m sure knowledge and medical expertise will have improved in leaps and bounds by now so I do wish your mum well and hope treatment can help her.

Oct 30, 2019
Hi
Thanks for the reply’s so far, I will definitely reach out to the helplines for support and advice and I’m continuing to read all the threads on here. @granny G my mum complained of someone coming into the house and hitting her over the head back in Oct 2018, there was no evidence of a break in so we just assumed she had dreamt it or something but as she was home alone during the day we now think that she possibly did collapse and hit her head of the kitchen tiles (her blood sugars had been all over the place at that time) I did mention it at 1 of our many gp appointments but he also dismissed it as if mum was making it up. The consultant said her diabetes could have also caused the NPH, im guessing we will never know the cause. My frustration is that this is the only diagnosis we have had but they still won’t treat her for it y is that? The psychiatric ward is horrific, there’s no1 of similar age or as far as I can see illness, everyone walks around the corridors swearing, shouting and to be honest it reminds me more of a social club than an assessment unit and with mums sight impairment all these noises are heightened and she’s petrified all day and night. My only comfort comes from that she was a nurse with her 24/7 and she’s never left on her own. I will need to speak to the consultant after yesterday’s failed attempt at the dat scan and see where we go from here, there’s only so many times I can tell mum we’re just doing more tests

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
potato head