Any suggestions for getting used to a change?

SLB123

Feb 17, 2020
This is my first post in the forum. Apologies if it's not the right sort of question. My Dad was diagnosed with MCI 4 or 5 years ago. He lives with my Mum in the same town where I live. One of his main symptoms seems to be difficulty processing information, as well as anxiety, repetition and memory loss (I think this is often because the information never went in in the first place, rather than that he has forgotten it). Last week they changed their TV, internet and phone provider due to really poor service from their previous provider, including being left without any service for days and error messages regularly popping up on the screen which he found confusing and asked Mum the same question about every single time (not good for her mental health!). We knew that Dad was likely to have some problems with the change and technical stuff of any sort can be confusing to any of us. But he won't look at the list of instructions we've written out for him (processing written info seems to be much easier for him) and isn't getting on very well with the new remote control, which has slightly different buttons to what he was used to, not being able to even consistently turn the TV and box on and off. It's frustrating for him and upsetting for Mum (and the rest of us).

Has anyone successfully made this sort of change with someone who has MCI? Any tips for getting them used to it? Mum has found some really simple remote controls with just a few buttons, but I wonder if that will still be a problem for him because it's something different again. It's really hard not being able to understand how his brain is going to deal with any new information.

Louise7

Volunteer Host
Mar 25, 2016
Hello @SLB123 welcome, you'll find lots of friendly support and advice here. Unfortunately any change can be difficult for someone having problems with processing information. When mum (with alzheimer's) started having trouble using the tv remote I tried one with simple to use buttons and this did help for a short while - so worth a try with your dad - but it wasn't long until someone needed to be there to put the tv on and change channels for her. I can understand how upsetting this is for your mum and other family members and hopefully other members will be along soon with some other suggestions that might help.

SLB123

Feb 17, 2020
Hello @SLB123 welcome, you'll find lots of friendly support and advice here. Unfortunately any change can be difficult for someone having problems with processing information. When mum (with alzheimer's) started having trouble using the tv remote I tried one with simple to use buttons and this did help for a short while - so worth a try with your dad - but it wasn't long until someone needed to be there to put the tv on and change channels for her. I can understand how upsetting this is for your mum and other family members and hopefully other members will be along soon with some other suggestions that might help.
It's interesting to hear that an easier remote did at least work for a while for your mum. I wish we had anticipated he would find it this hard and gone straight to an easier remote. Thanks for replying, Louise.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mrsmagsey