Any Experience of Switching from Visitor to Volunteer in A Care Home

Hours Away

Jul 16, 2021
Just wondered whether anyone had subsequently become a volunteer at a care home they'd previously visited a relative in and if so whether they'd gone through a full induction process eg
- application form (as even though the care home might already have their contact details as POA it wouldn't have their own next of kin details),​
- references,​
- DBS check (or PVG in Scotland),​
- induction training.​

kindred

Apr 8, 2018
Just wondered whether anyone had subsequently become a volunteer at a care home they'd previously visited a relative in and if so whether they'd gone through a full induction process eg
- application form (as even though the care home might already have their contact details as POA it wouldn't have their own next of kin details),​
- references,​
- induction training.​
I did. I volunteer in the nursing home where my husband died. I love doing this. I do family support and activities.
I have had DBS check. No need for induction as when I visited my husband, I quickly joined the team.
It’s good work

Angel55

Oct 23, 2023
- references,​
- induction training.​
💗 I get tempted to volunteer but for now I take Dad's lunch down to him or bring extra tv magazines in for people to read , donate things etc and if anyone wants a chat I always oblige lol as I live 40 mins away it feels to far to be reliable as such but I feel it is definitely something worth while if you want to do it, they are aways so short staffed. I think you have to have a DBS check but not sure about the other things, maybe it depends what you would be doing.

Hours Away

Jul 16, 2021
Thanks both. I'm slightly concerned that I am already volunteering but, having asked several times about the need for a DBS check, no-one seems to want to progress this.

I did some googling on the CQC website and found Regulation 18 (Staffing) and Regulation 19 (Fit and Proper Persons Employed) and think I probably should have a DBS check but wouldn't need to supply my full employment history as a volunteer.

Angel55

Oct 23, 2023
Thanks both. I'm slightly concerned that I am already volunteering but, having asked several times about the need for a DBS check, no-one seems to want to progress this.

I did some googling on the CQC website and found Regulation 18 (Staffing) and Regulation 19 (Fit and Proper Persons Employed) and think I probably should have a DBS check but wouldn't need to supply my full employment history as a volunteer.
💗 That sounds about right. When I worked in schools volunteers had a DBS check and until it came through they were not working alone with pupils if that makes sense. I am assuming the same shld apply in care homes. If you were helping with groups activities and things then other staff would be with you? x Some people have no visitors or family and homes always seem so short staffed so your help will be invaluable I am sure

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Misnu