Any advice will be so helpful please

Charmaine6625

Feb 12, 2024
Hi my name is Charmaine
My future mother in law has mixed dementia and Alzheimer’s, she has 3 sons (middle one is my fiancé) Di lost her speech some time ago and as a family we’d been caring for her at home with carers popping in 3 times a day. She lived alone and the boys were in process of social service help and looking at care homes. Sadly 2 weeks ago Di fell down her stairs , carer found her, she had fractured skull and multiple bleeds on her brain. There is a DNR in place , drs prognosis was not good and she was put on end of life care , all treatment removed. we were told days / weeks , a week after fall she was transferred to a hospice , again we were told days/weeks another week has gone by and yesterday dr said hours/days . Us as a family have been feeding her yoghurts, custard and today she had a bit of readybrek. She will drink aswell. We believe she has had mini strokes as one side of her face alga’s dropped . She doesn’t talk at all anymore (only used to say yes and no) but at times she’s very aware. She’s not been out of bed since the accident and she’s lost so much weight, looks so different. She doesn’t appear to be in any pain and seems quite settled which is a blessing. Obviously as a family we don’t want her to pass but at same time it feels like a complete emotional rollercoaster. Being told to expect her to pass in days but she seems like she could go on forever. We’ve all paused our lives to keep vigil with her 24 hours a day but we all work etc so have had to go back to normal life although nothing is normal as we’re all still going to stay with her on a rota basis. I guess I’m just asking for advice , as a family we are just lost

karaokePete

Jul 23, 2017
N Ireland
Hello @Charmaine6625 and welcome to the forum, even though such unhappy circumstances have brought you here.

I recall an OU text that I read years ago wherein a hospital chaplain was talking about his experiences with families in this situation. The bottom line was that he thought the hardest thing for people was 'letting go'. As an individual we can only do our best and in my own case I wasn't able to attend either of my parents deaths at the time of passing, despite taking turns at the bedside vigil.

Gosling

Volunteer Host
Aug 2, 2022
South West UK
Hello @Charmaine6625 and welcome from me too to this friendly and supportive forum. I am glad you have found us.

Gosh, I am so sorry to read of your Mum's situation, and for you as a family. You are right, I'm afraid, it is a rollercoaster of emotions. End of life can vary so much, and timewise almost impossible to predict. The important thing is that your Mum is comfortable and pain free, which by what you say , she is. That is hopefully some comfort.
What I would say, is to try to cherish any good moments, smiles, laughs etc. You can only do your best, and it sounds very much that you and your family are doing just that. I hope very much that when the time comes, it is a peaceful passing. Wishing you strength to get through this.

Kevinl

Aug 24, 2013
Salford
Just so sorry for you, literally makes me cry when I read what others post on the site here.
K

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Thankyou all, almost 4 weeks and she’s still very much with us, defying all the odds bless her
Im sorry. As has been said, end of life can vary. People at this stage (still eating and drinking, even if its not much) can sometimes go on for an almost unbelievably long time. Your mum might go on like this for several months, or may suddenly start deteriorating again and pass away within a week. There is, unfortunately, just no knowing. One of the signs, though, is that they will stop eating and drinking completely.

Keep strong
(((((((((((((((((((((((hugs)))))))))))))))))))