Any advice on how to reassure

390anna

Mar 30, 2023
Hi, my mum has dementia and for about a year is convinced that two family members she hasn't seen for years, are breaking in and wandering around the house all night. She has a new front porch door, a new lock on the inside door and two new bolts. However she still believes they are getting in. I suggested a security stick that you prop against the door although I know when that is in place she will still hear them. Can anyone offer any advice on what I can say to her? She is very agitated and I'm just not sure what to say anymore to make it better for her. Thank you

northumbrian_k

Volunteer Host
Mar 2, 2017
Newcastle
Hi @390anna and welcome to Dementia Talking Point. I am sorry to hear about your mum and the stress that this is causing. This sort of thing seems very common but also very hard to deal with. When my wife had similar, unfounded fears all I could do was hear her out then try to get away with not addressing them directly. A grunt was sometimes enough to acknowledge what she said but at other times I was accused (fairly) of not taking her seriously...

390anna

Mar 30, 2023
Many thanks northumbrian_k! I really appreciate your help. Someone suggested I put a camera up to show her no one is coming in but I thought that would probably make the situation worse?? What do you think? Many thanks again for your reply!

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Hello @390anna

Do you think it might help your mum if you tell her you have informed the police and they will keep an eye on the house to keep her safe?

If your mum is living alone she might feel safer in residential care where there are people around her all the time to help.

390anna

Mar 30, 2023
Hi Grannie G,

Thank you so much for your reply. That is a very good suggestion. She lives with my dad but unfortunately he needs sleeping tablets at night so can't help to reassure her.
Thank you again, I will definitely try this!

Jessbow

Mar 1, 2013
Midlands
Tell her..'' I will tell them off, tell them not to come unless you and dad are up. if tey dont stop we'll report them''

of course, you dont actually do anything, just been seen to be proactive in her eyes

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
My mum thought that her ex-cleaner had stolen her keys and was coming in and stealing things. In reality mum was moving things around and hiding them herself, but she didnt remember doing it, so blamed her cleaner that she had fired. I did the same as you - changed all the locks etc, but mum was still convinced that she was coming in. One day I asked her how the cleaner could possibly be getting in asher locks were changed and the cleaner didnt have keys and mum told me that the cleaner must be coming in through the letter box!! If I had put cameras up Im sure that she still wouldnt believe it and come up with some "reason" why the cameras didnt show her.

Unfortunately, trying to convince someone with dementia that their delusions are untrue is doomed to failure, because they are utterly sure that they are right and logic/reasoning no longer works. "Love lies" like the sort offered by granny g and jessbow usually work better. Eventually the delusion will pass, but be warned that it is usually followed by something else......

390anna

Mar 30, 2023
Dear canary, thank you for telling me your story. You are right, I made the mistake about a year ago. I was adamant no one was getting in and my mum wouldn't speak to me for three weeks which was very stressful as I was so worried. I now agree with her and don't doubt a word she says. The voices started over 3 years ago when she was hearing my nan who had died 10 years before. She then ended up in hospital for 2 weeks with pneumonia and seemed ok for a little while afterwards. The delusions are getting much worse now.
I have 2 small children as well to look after and feel like my head is going to explode sometimes! I then feel guilty that I'm not able to be there for my mum all the time, even though I know it's impossible for anyone to do that!
I'd like to thank everyone for their time to offer advice, it's good to know that there are people who can help.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Micmomgram 5