Any advice/help would be greatly appreciated!

Tisso

Apr 15, 2024
Hi
My 87 year old father in law was diagnosed with dementia late last year. I've never dealt or known anyone with dementia and myself and my husband are finding it difficult to get them to accept any help (from outside) - they are ok with us doing everything for them. It has got to the stage where my FIL has not had a shower for nearly 3 wks (we have only just found this out). On asking if he is scared to get in the shower on this own, he said "Yes, I think I am". I suggested getting carers in to help with this but my MIL just changed the subject - she does this every time we try to talk about things. We're finding it increasing difficult and stressful as we both work, have children/grandchildren and don't know what to do for the best. They won't have a stairlift, won't have a care line, won't discuss getting help in some form or another and we don't know where to turn now. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Welcome @Tisso

It`s difficult for many people with dementia to accept help, especially from what they see as strangers. It can frighten them and increase their confusion because they are often unable to rationalise or process what is happening.

The following link might help you understand how best to communicate.