Antibiotics - Is it smoke and mirrors?

JoannePat

Jan 24, 2019
We have had an eventful few weeks with my mum! Her CH is in semi-lockdown, we can visit but for 20 minutes and they would prefer we only go once a week.

I have had a couple of calls from the CH saying how poorly she is and she is now on her third lot of antibiotics, for a chest infection. The first lot worked and it came back, the second lot worked and it came back and she is now on her third lot, will it come back? Are the antibiotics masking something else?

We finally got a visit on Sunday. She is propped up in bed and didn't react to us. Its the only word I can use "react", we don't know if she recognises us as she hasn't spoken for nearly a year. We get the odd yes or no, but thats about it. I tried talking to her but she stares past me, so I just carried on chatting (which is hard, when its so one sided)!

One of the things I noticed was how brown she was, like, sitting out in the sun brown. She has a couple of bruises where she has knocked herself on the cot sides, but generally her skin looks really good and tanned! Is this a thing? The whites of her eyes are not yellow, her finger nails look ridgy but they were a normal colour.

I spoke with the CH manager yesterday and she said they have extended her antibiotics by three days, to make sure it really works this time. She also said they are blending her foo and thickening her water now. So I suppose we are really on the downward path.

I just hope we get to see her again soon,

As always, love and hugs to you all and thank you for reading my ramblings

Jxxx

karaokePete

Jul 23, 2017
N Ireland
Hello @JoannePat.

I hope things improve for your mum.

I can't answer all your questions but I do know that the situation with the antibiotics is common. As dementia progresses infections can become more frequent and harder to fight off as the immune system weakens. Fingers crossed that the AB's work this time as infections aren't a good mix with dementia.

JoannePat

Jan 24, 2019
Thank you @karaokePete, hopefully this last batch has worked, she took the last one on Friday night, so only time will tell. My fear is that it turns into pneumonia! With her lack of movement I suppose there is a build up of fluid.

xx

AliceA

May 27, 2016
I am very sorry for you, my husband needed strong antibiotics.
I had permission to start these over a weekend if needed as a chest infection meant he needed to start as soon as certain symptoms arose. I was given a supply.
I was cautious as I was warned at some point antibiotics would no longer work.
Perhaps you could speak to a doctor to get an opinion.

AliceA

May 27, 2016
I am very sorry for you, my husband needed strong antibiotics.
I had permission to start these over a weekend if needed as a chest infection meant he needed to start as soon as certain symptoms arose. I was given a supply.
I was cautious as I was warned at some point antibiotics would no longer work.
Perhaps you could speak to a doctor to get an opinion.
You are doing the right thing by talking, gentle reassurance she is loved and memories of the past as earlier memories can give a sense of inner wellbeing.

JoannePat

Jan 24, 2019
Thank you @AliceA. The CH is back in full lockdown. It so frustrating that we can't get to see her. It has now been 9 days since her last antibiotic, it seems that she is doing "ok" and today the CH hope to get her into a chair.

Jxx

AliceA

May 27, 2016
Good to hear, it is a tough time.
My efforts to keep in contact are sadly no longer needed, but I did keep a steady flow of notes, small bits and pieces, phone calls, face time to keep in contact.

I started to use a catch phrase, ‘Just a thought away‘ at home, Every time I kissed goodnight.
I had it printed on a fleece blanket with all the family names, these were a hit as a talking point for care staff. I really feel for you all. Alice x

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leigh_77