Anti depressants Citalopram

Good Walker

Dec 7, 2020
My wife is diagnosed with Vascular dementia. She started taking an anti depressant Citalopram about a year ago. If I discuss it with her GP he/she just increases the dose. She does not seem any different from before she took it. I stopped the dose gradually. She has had some weeping moments when waking up but nothing more. I was concerned she was putting on weight fast and just clearly binge eating. She has had a fall and is unsteady she is finding it hard to get about with the extra weight. Opinions would be welcome please.

Louise7

Volunteer Host
Mar 25, 2016
Welcome to Dementia Talking Point @Good Walker you'll find lots of friendly advice and support here. Mum was on Citalopram for about a year, with the mental health team stating that it didn't seem to be making any difference. It was then weaned off and stopped but this was under the instructions of the GP. It can work well for a lot of people, and Mum didn't suffer from any binge eating whilst taking it. I'd advise against stopping any medication yourself without seeking medical advice first though - have you spoken to the GP about the binge eating & weight gain? There may be a medical reason that this is happening so I'd definitely discuss this with the GP in case blood tests etc are required.

lushr

Sep 25, 2020
my gp had mum on efexor SNRI for decades with no seeming positive affects, my gerontologist is suggesting we get her off it and try from something less agitating. and more workable with other antipsychotics (she has alzheimer’s).

i was on zoloft once and citalopram SSRI now. i can tell you i am a mess if i miss a few doses. deeply insecure, paranoid and depression... everyone is different but citalopram has less side effects do it’s prescribed more than other drugs.... i don’t have dementia.

taking someone off the drugs is a gradual process, they can cross medicate, lower you on one drug while raising you on another. this is not something a GP will do unless there’s a serious problem. like behavioural issues which is what my mum has.

hence you might want to speak to a gerontologist. they tend to take a broader look at someone’s health and consider the benefits/costs.

honestly weight gain and binge eating are also depressive and hormonal issues so it might be more complicated than just the citalopram.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bcaputo5