An insight into Carer Guilt

lilysmybabypup

May 21, 2012
Sydney, Australia
Dad has been in a CH for a week now, and I walk away every time feeling an enormous cavern of emptiness that's only filled with an even greater quantity of guilt mixed with devastation and helplessness.

I found this gentleman's detailed website journal of his wife's battle with Alzheimer's and identified deeply with his emotions. Read it and see if it echoes your own emotions.

http://www.junebergalzheimers.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=12&Itemid=34

As Always, much love to all who share this path.
Stephanie, xxx

Jan 3, 2013
Sidcup
I read it and it is sad very sad

I hope your dad settles in ok. I am sure the guilt must be awful for you but you had no choice. Dementia's is at fault

grobertson62

Mar 7, 2011
Sheffield
Hi Stephanie
Having already trodden the path you now walk. it does get easier. With the journey comes a form of acceptance. Acceptance that they are cared for 24/7 and you couldnt do it alone.
It does mean when you visit it is just that. A visit. No need to check food levels meds cook clean was iron etc.
So i do pray things go well love Gill

steffie60

Jan 22, 2013
Hampshire
How sad this story is and yet it echoes the path that so many of us walk. I like his term love givers over care givers as this much resonates with the interaction between my mother and myself. I have said to Mum that I will look after her at home for as long as I can and I know if she has to go into a CH I will be devastated.

Thank you for sharing this:

Mamsgirl

Jun 2, 2013
Melbourne, Australia
Too fragile right now to read this Stephanie, though I'll come back to it. Beginning to think Guilty is my middle name, only because Never Makes The Right Decision is a bit long :) Hugs, Toni x