Alzheimers support worker/befriender

Discussion in 'ARCHIVE FORUM: Support discussions' started by Grandaughter 1, Jul 21, 2006.

1. Grandaughter 1

Grandaughter 1 Registered User

Jan 17, 2006
    Hampshire
    I've been reading about some of these people being mentioned in some of the threads.

Can anyone tell me how you go about getting a "befriender/support worker" for my Grandad?? Also are they volunteers or do you pay for them?

Thank you.

2. Blue_Gremlin

Blue_Gremlin Registered User

Mar 15, 2006
    Morecambe, UK
  3. magpie

magpie Registered User

Jul 21, 2006
    Bradford
    Get local help

You need to get in touch with your local Alzheimers Branch, Granddaughter. I suppose there may be differences from place to place, but my Mum's Branch has been wonderful in helping to ferret out what's available for her in the local area. They don't have the capacity to do it all themselves, but they've been really good at finding people who CAN help, like the Neighbourhood Wardens, who they've asked to pop in every day to check that my Mum is safe, and local Age Concern befriending service etc. Plus they are just great to talk to because they know where you are coming from. This is fantastic for me because I live 70 miles away, but I always have someone who I can ring who knows my Mum and who knows the area.
    Hope this helps.